a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CLR 2011 from the deck of Miss B's Haven - conclusion

Started by Greene, August 15, 2011, 10:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greene

We spent about 2 hours in the water bobbing and talking.  Then back in the boats for another long hot tack back to the marina.  We had hoped to meet at 6, but no one made it back until 7.   Luke and Debbie were not coming out of their air-conditioned cabin until they had cooled off!  Steve and Sarah were celebrating their 35th anniversary, so the whole crew took them out to dinner.  

Monday we had to say goodbye to Mike C and Becky as they headed back to Ohio and Luke and Debbie as they headed home.  Sad to see them go.  Joan was ready for a break, so Carl joined up with Rich.  Steve and Sarah and B and I joined them for another enjoyable sail.  We had fun tacking around each other, taking pictures, racing a bit, and chatting back and forth.  That night everyone was on their own for dinner.  Brenda and I went back to Bretz Wildlife Restaurant and Winery.  Later we met up with Joan, Carl, and Rich on the dock for another round of sundowners.

Tuesday morning Joan and Carl pulled out.  Rich set out to sail to the end of the lake and back.  We sailed out shortly after him, but could never catch him.  So we decided to sail over to over to a beach for a swim.  Steve and Sarah called us and said they were on the water and wanted us to sail with them toward Hazlet.  It was another wing and wing run to catch up to them.  We rafted up (yes we did that again!) and enjoyed a couple of hours bobbing in the water.  We both had a close reach back – never catching sight of Rich until we got to the marina.  It was Rich's choice for dinner so we went to the nearby Lighthouse.  The all-you-can-eat catfish was really good.

Wednesday we said goodbye to Rich.  What a really nice guy and accomplished sailor.  His sails always seemed to be perfectly trimmed and pulling hard.  Since we were on our own, we decided to head to the Laundromat (phew!).  When we got back, we walked the docks to check out all the sailboats.  Mike liked the Bayfield 25 the best.  Then we went out to El Indio for a Mexican dinner.  We returned to the marina to a beautiful evening. We lit up our Weems and Plath lantern to give the cockpit a cozy feel. Even though we were beat, we couldn't help but sit out watching the stars.  

Thursday was a no wind day so we decided to drive up to Keyesport to explore the town and the rural areas to the northeast.  We had really nice chef salads at The Keyes on their covered deck overlooking the marina and the lake.  (We stayed in the best marina).  We made our way back to the marina to meet up with Steve and Sarah.  They brought dinner to cook outside on the grill at the Galley.  It was an evening of good conversation with good people who are fast becoming good friends.  

Friday Steve and Sarah returned to the marina for an all-day sail on our 19.  Steve took the helm in moderate winds for a long lazy tack the whole length of the lake.

Brenda introduced Sarah to the joys of riding the bow of a 19.

We enjoyed the fresh breeze and comfortable temperatures.  We went into Hazlet for yet another two hour swim.  For the return sail, Mike and Steve took their turn at being bow candy while the girls took the helm.

Steve and I jabbered about common interests and the girls kept their eye on the GPS and gave us a running account of the speeds they were achieving highlighted by the simultaneous yell of "5 MPH" from the girls.  Once we returned to the marina we got cleaned up, grabbed the umbrellas for the first rain we had seen all week.  We walked across the street to the classic car show.  We weren't too upset about the rain as we were all hungry for dinner.  Back to Bretz Wildlife Winery for a wonderful meal, lots of laughter and a bit of wine.  Then it was time to say goodbye.  Thanks to Steve and Sarah for making our stay a wonderful time.  We hope they enjoyed our company as much as we enjoyed theirs.

We'll be back!

Mike and B

We tried our best to relate the week as accurately as possible.  The names and dates have not been changed because there were no innocents.  Check for more pictures and videos on our Photobucket site.
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/CLR%202011/
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Salty19

What an amazing summary of a fantastic event!  Thank you so much for putting it to words and sharing all the pics (looked at all of them!).  We have many pictures to share as well..just need to dig out the little (proprietary) cord out of storage to upload.  Darn Sony cameras use memory sticks, not SD cards and of course no easy USB port...grrrr!!!

Becky and I echo the remarks here.  What a super nice group of people to share a few days on the water!  With the exception of a few hot days, I don't think it could have been any better.   A HUGE thanks goes to Sarah and Steve (kicknbug+ his Admiral) for arranging dinner, happy hour and, well, pretty much organizing the whole event.  Another kudos to B and Mike's Mom for sewing up the boat name pendants.  We will proudly be flying it forevermore!  And lest we forget about the Brandy Slushies!  YUM!!  

Another thank you goes to Crazycarl for helping to raise the stubborn mast and dicker with the furler (Island Time was still grouchy from the drive-400 mile tacks on I-70 tend to do that) and Rich for loaning the trailer extension. The trucks differentials sounded off a "Muchas Gracias" as we pulled out high and dry.

Also thanks to my admiral for putting up with me and the other lady (the boat!) for 5 solid days and nights. Thank goodness for her we brought enough alcohol to sterilize the Red Sea.

Cal and Merry's CP16 is a sight to behold!   Lengthening, widened, water ballasted, dual rudders, outboard well, built in cooler..and a CAT BOAT!  
Absolutely amazing piece of work and engineering.  Hands down, the coolest sailboat I've ever seen, and bound to see for some time.  Thanks for the cool article about the making of Little Darlin', Cal.

Another big thanks to the Hutchins Company for donating about $100 worth of their high quality, hats. They are da bomb!

Thinking I need to paint those ultra-gay umbrellas.  They provide a lot of shade..but at what cost, I tell ya..WHAT COST?!?!  Then again maybe they added a 'lil sail area downwind and fended off the serious racers. Afterall, wouldn't you avoid a boat that looks like a PT Barnum side show dipped in mint chocolate chip ice cream??   Surely so!

The Sport a seat story was omitted, presumable to protect the innocent, but for all you naysayers out there...transferring a sport a seat between two CP19's under full sail in a race is absolutely possible.  It was performed without so much of a kiss of gelcoat, lap of varnished teak or banging of rigging. Problem was Brenda liked it so much, I had to resort to Lime Bite to take the sting out of doing without.  Well, I guess that is a win-win after all.

And to save some embarrassment and bad karma,  the Miss Adventures launch story probably needs to be held in strict confidence.  What happens at Carlyle Lake, stays at Carlyle Lake!!  Yes, that was a sad excuse for an invitation for someone to tell the story ;)

P.S.   Bow Candy...bahahahhaaaahhaa!!!!!  
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Greene

Thanks Salty.  We still have a number of pictures to post to Photobucket, so we'll let you know when they are all uploaded.

Mike and B

kickingbug1

mike sure told a good yarn didnt he. like i said before this was a time to renew old friendships and make new ones. money and time is well spent to make memories like these. a big thanks to all who attended. you folks made our summer something special. let this serve as an invitation to do it all over again next year and if its in the cards to make some new friends. there sure is something about these little boats.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

brackish

Mike and B.,

Great read and pics!  Looks and sounds like you all had a great time and were blessed with some decent wind most of the time.  We wish we could have been there but many conflicts during that week.  Maybe next time.  Thanks for the detailed recap.

Bob23

C'mon, guys:
   We all want to hear the Miss Adventures launch story!
Bob23

DOUG142

Wow!  Great time.  Wish we could have made it down there, but alas, not to be this year. 
Great pictures too.

Glad to hear everyone had a good time.

Doug and Linda
Sweet Dreams, CP-19

CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

crazycarl

Quote from: Bob23 on August 17, 2011, 06:59:24 AM
C'mon, guys:
   We all want to hear the Miss Adventures launch story!
Bob23

Your right Bob.  Everyone on this board deserves to hear the story of Miss Adventures launch.  However, being the skipper of Miss Adventures, I feel I should hold off until all that were present tell thier versions.  So, Brenda, Mike, Sara, and Steve, please relate what you THINK you saw or experienced, and I, in return, will tell the truth!

Carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Greene

We saw a CP19 named Miss Adventures arrive, get rigged, launched and maneuvered to a slip.  That's our story and we're sticking to it.

Mike and B

kickingbug1

other than wet panties, thats pretty much what i recall.  i think there was some photo evidence however
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"