a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

compac 16 capsize?

Started by mattt6511, January 02, 2011, 01:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Matt-  Hope you know I was just messing around a bit but no question, it is true that some people do find litle sailboats a bit intimidating.  

I saw in your other post you're a new sailer. Congrats on picking a great first boat!

The advice here is excellent.  NateD is spot on.  Tell ya what I would do, and that's leave her at home for a few sails until YOU are comfortable with it and get to know it's limits, and get to know how to be a better sailor including all the skills listed.  Get out when it's windy, know how to reef and handle it, get comfortable and confident.  Remember you are well in control of speed, heeling, pitching due to wave action,etc.  Knowing how and when to reef and dealing with tides and wave action in your sailing area is especially important.  Go out when it's wind yand practice, read up on skills and practice a bit.  Remember the tighter the sheets, the more it will heel (closehauled), so you can always let the boom out a bit and it will sail flatter.  Keeping the boat moving will help keep it from pitching around in waves.   Bet you in 3-4 outings with good wind you'll feel like a captain ready for the first mate's easy cruise.  Seeing your confidence in handling the boat will make it a lot easier for her to trust things too. Then the fun can begin, and I bet in no time she'll be having a blast.

So back the bras, sorry I mean sails. Like sails, the curve is everything.  Old bras, errr, I mean sails are often "included" on older used boats.  When an ad says "sails are good", that usually means they aren't ripped or worn out looking but aren't as good they used to be.  If the shape isn't right,  they just aren't as functional. Are we still talking abut sails?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Salty19

There is a pretty good wiki entry on sail aerodynamics. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sail
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

mattt6511

Hey salty hah i know you guys are just joking and this forum has been so much help!! I feel bad that im asking all these questions its just books can only tell you so much and all of you have real world experience! She just got really nervous because the first day we got on the boat she climed on from the side and it looked like the entire boat was going to flip over right then and there!! haha that would of been a disaster! Anyways if you guys know some about mooring boats you should look at my mooring question i posted too!! hah bob has already started to help me with ideas. Thanks again for the help, there arnt many "haters" on this forum and that's rare now

Billy

Matt,
I agree LOTS of good people on this Board. I really enjoy it. And yes there is lots of books out there, just not a lot on Com-Pacs.

I made the mistake of taking my wife out w/ me when I 1st started sailing too. The wind would pick up and the boat would heel and she would get scared...then mad! Just remember..."when in doubt, let it out". the sheets and bras!!!! But just like Salty said, w/ my experience and confidence now she goes out w/ me sometimes and can handle it when the boat heels. It just takes time.

As far as climbing on the boat, think of it like a pendulum. If you hold a sledge hammer straight down by your side it is very easy to swing to about 30 maybe even 45 degrees. However, keeping you arm straight, it is almost impossible to lift the hammer above 90 degrees. you could put 3 big adults on the combing of a 16 and still not get the rail in the water. And evn if it did start to go, they are self righting. as soon as the load is removed, the boat will go right back to the upright position.

And a far as Salty's comment about know when to reef..... I say the 1st time you question if you should. It is always easier to reef before the wind really pics up. Does your main have a reefing point?
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

GlennB724

WOW.... mention bras or their contents on this forum and the thing blows up!  I KNEW I was in the right place.  LOL

kickingbug1

on the subject of sails, salty is right. the best money i have spent on my 16 was for a new mainsail. by the "seat of the pants" measuring stick shes faster and points higher. and as every com-pac sailor has found out---have a foil rudder either store bought or home made. hey mike bring your brother this year if you can
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

mattt6511

I dont think the sail has reefing points on the bottom of it, i am most likely going to send the sail to sailcare and get it cleaned up refurbished and im pretty sure they can install reefing holes too for me!!

Billy

Matt,
I bought new sails for my 19 from a  guy in St. Pete about 2 years ago. I got a Main (w/ 1 reef) a 110 Jib & a 150 Genoa for $900. I thought it was a pretty good price for 3 brand new sails

When I had the 16 he quoted me at around $350 for a main (I think), and he has several used but in good shape jibs from snarks (i think) that he said would fit a 16 and they were anywhere from $50-$250.

His name is Paul Silvernail and his company is called Masthead enterprise. He has a whole loft full of sails. If your enterested tell him you know me and I bet he'll give you a good deal.

Caboose

Let's not forget about having a nice smooth bottom.

Maybe I should just stop before we move into PG-13 ratings.

Billy

Your name, Caboose, is soooo fitting to your post!!!

And I think we passed PG13 a long time ago.....

But yea, smooth AND ROUND! reduces weather helm!

I guess thats why they always call boats "Her"

B.Hart

I bought sails from masthead about 5years ago, they are great people to work with.  BILL