a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Engine bracket lift springs

Started by ghsfusioneer, July 01, 2016, 06:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghsfusioneer

Half of the lift springs in my outboard lift bracket are broken.  I'd like to replace them so lifting the engine will be a little easier. I've looked on-line and haven't found a replacement source yet.  I didn't see them listed as a routine replacement item at Com-Pac either.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Bilge Rat

Have you thought of replacing the bracket altogether? I'm not a fan of the bracket that came on my Sun Cat (2009 year). The bracket is very stiff and difficult to raise and lower, the adjustment lever is very small (you have to use your fingers as opposed to your hand) and also gets in the way when trying to tighten/loosen the clamps on the outboard. It also makes a loud screeching sound when I try to raise and lower it and I've tried lubricating various parts of it but that doesn't help with the screeching or the difficulty in raising and lowering it.  I'm putting it up with it for now...
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

ghsfusioneer

Thanks for the response.  Mine is a 2007 version, and has the same design issues you've mentioned - except mine doesn't screech.  A new better-designed bracket is indeed a reasonable suggestion - but finding the right one ....   The existing bracket still works, so I currently think of this as a low priority repair job - to be done only if I find the right springs.   

Shawn

Another option is rigging a 2:1 (or more) pulley to help lift the engine. I just added a heavy outboard to my boat and have a 4:1 rigged to help me when I want to lift the mount up.

Shawn

Bilge Rat

My bracket looks like this one being sold as a Panther brand at West Marine. Mine doesn't have the panther logo on it though. Looks like the parent company is Marine Tech  - Panther Products out of Minnesota. I checked their catalog and mine looks like the one on pg. 8 called: Max. 15 HP 2-Stroke and 20 HP 4-Stroke, 11" Lift, Stainless Steel 55-0408SS.

If yours is the same you might try calling them for replacement parts.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/marinetech-products--adjustable-outboard-motor-bracket-stainless-steel-max-20hp-max-115lb--17381575
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

blighhigh

I can't offer a reference site but I will mention that I use a small (12 inch} lever bar from Home Depot to toggle the lifting handle on the outboard bracket.  It makes the entire process painless. 

ghsfusioneer

Thanks for all of the replies.  What a great forum and pool of knowledge and experience.  By following the marine supplier link, I think I found the exact spring - (http://www.marinetechproducts.com/shop-for-parts#!/Torsion-Spring/p/33473283/category=8617159).  Hopefully they have some in stock. 

rogerschwake

Looks like you have found the springs you need. Took two springs out when I had a two-stroke four horse. With a four-stroke four horse I am now using five springs. I've had good luck with this motor mount on the back of my 2004 Sun Cat. Did have one of the four 3/8'' by 6" bolts that the mount hinges on break. A person should carry one of these in there parts box. I always trailer with the motor on the bracket, this isn't the best idea but the easiest.

ROGER