Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Winter covering

Started by Glenn Basore, November 07, 2010, 06:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Well,

It doesn't look like I'm going to be getting much sailing in over the winter months so I place a plastic tarp over my Eclipse.

Here in California the weather is pretty mild compared to the east cost states but here is my concern,

Will mold grow in my cabin if I leave the tarp on the boat for a few months? does it help to leave the port holes open a bit for air to circulate? Would it be better to keep the cabin closed completely  with no air circulation? what about moth balls?

Glenn B.

Napier6

Mild winters here in Ga. Glenn, today not included at 30F!
I have had problems with mold.  The worst was locked up two months Nov - Dec 2009.  The mold wasn't bad but musty and even after the mold remover/block spray it started gaining a foothold.  This was after five years, but once mold is with you it tends to stay. I don't have a tarp, but I see alot of canvas over hatches. The big problem is the closed environment.  Air circulation is key.  I did two things that helped.  First, I took some old 10" pine I had from a project and made some hatch boards and installed screen to keep the bugs out, and a vent from West Marine.   Second, and more labor intensive, I installed a Nicro Day/Nite Solar vent in the foredeck.  It was very hard to cut the first hole in the boat!  Both of these fixes have cured the problem.  I can't seem to keep the rechargeable battery going, but the days only seem to be fine.          
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"

esterhazyinoz

Re covers and stuff I was looking into reducing heat and moisture during winter storage here in Australia and found what looks like a good item to do just that. Available on Amazon, eBay and not too expensive.
I have seen it named a few different things but search on boat vent ii. They also have adjustable poles that they fit on to hold the canvas up so the rain runs off. Here is a link to their website.  http://www.boatvent.com/  You can see how it is set up.  This may be part of a solution for you.

Cheers.

Glenn Basore

Thanks for the information,

We have had rain non stop now for a week, California all ways needs rain but things are pretty well saturated at this point.

My boat is completely covered so the rain is not getting in my open port holes which I left open for air circulations. when it stops raining (fore cast is rain for 6 more days) I will open the cover a bit and open the cabin to see how things are.

I read some place that if you leaf a light in side the cabin with a 60 watt bulb in it that it was enough to stop any mold / mildew, That was going to be my next try. the problem is running an extension cord from the garage to the boat and leaving it on all that time. will see.

Glenn

gmerrill

I have an 07 legacy and up to this point i haven't had any problems with mold or mildew. i have noticed my jibsheet starting to show some mold or mildew streaks.  i keep it in a cover and that is probaly why that has happened.  in the future i will air the jib sheet out and leave it out of the bag.  i also am going to follow the step and put a vent in my hatchboards.  i have seen that done before.

greg
07 legacy