Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Looking for Com Pac 16

Started by frjeff, April 07, 2005, 04:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frjeff

Any help offered is appreciated.
I am seeking a ComPac 16 in the Texas market. I have seen a few on Ebay, but some were pretty rough. I don't mind puttering, but I am not a boat builder and only have average skills in that regard.

Thanks for whatever you may know of.

frjeff

I am looking at a 1978 at this time. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for on this year model?

Rhanks

B.Hart

I think the older the better :D  , but expect some bad wood unless the boat has already been restored. Then check quality of the repairs.             HAPPY SAILING 8)

Craig

Fr. Jeff,

I'm not sure when Com-Pac changed the construction of the interior, but there are some variations in the CP-16 MK1s. I have a 1980 (actually built in 1979) and the bunks are different than the originals. My bunks are glassed in, coated with epoxy, and trimmed with cheap, but funtional, plastic. I have a forward bulkhead that serves as an anchor locker. If the 78 has bunks like mine and an anchor locker you should not have any issues of bad wood. That older versions had plywood bunks and storage shelf that were just painted and some have delaminated.

Check for water marks on the inside just above the backing plate for the side stays, usually at the hull to deck joint. Older models (like mine) are prone to leaking there. Fix is to remove the tangs and re-bed. The sealant on the hull to deck joint might be dried out as well. Not a hard fix either, just time consuming to pull off the rub rail, dig out as much of the dried stuff as possible and reseal with 3M 5200. Gettting the rub rail back on in the hardest part.

Check also the standing rigging. If it is original it might be fine or it might have broken strands or signs of corrosion.

Depending on the trailer you could have gel coat damage to the keel from the PVC guides on the trailer. Again not a hard fix.

The transom is not cored but I have seen one that was weakened by a very stiff motor mount.  

I like my 16 and would recommend a 16 to anyone looking for an easily trailered daysailer/overnighter.

Craig

Craig

Jeff,

Couple other things to keep in mind:
1) The 1978 may not have an elecrical system. Mine did not. These are not hard to install. Just remember to tape the gel coat before drilling.

2) The CP 16-1s are 3/4 not 7/8 rigged. The jib is smaller and the main is larger. There is no bow sprit. What that means is you don't have to worry about spreaders, but you do have more weather helm. Raking the mast all the way forward and buying an Idasailor rudder helps dramatically.

Craig

frjeff

Local area (central TX) - 1982 CP-16, trailer (tilt), danforth, good tires, bearings, standing rigging 2 years old, sails decent (yr or two at least left), hull and deck condition good (rub out and polish needed), older 3HP outboard that runs well, cabin needs cleaning and refurb, electric running lights and cabin lights, gel battery, etc, etc.
Believe I'm able to get between $2500 - $2700.

Should I - the pricing seems good. They were asking $3470, but I've been negotiating and today he said let's talk  "we can likely do it about that number."

Sound OK???   :?:

Craig

That sounds a lot better especially with all the work required on the eBay one. If you are really into restoring neglected boats then the eBay one may be a good deal.

As long as the sails are not blown out you can get them refurbished by Sailcare. Larry Bracken had his done and they came back looking and feeling almost new.

Craig