a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need help with new compac 16

Started by mattt6511, December 31, 2010, 10:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattt6511

Hello i recently purchased a compac 16 its currently in the water and im planning on moving it 62 miles from its current location. I am not a experienced sailor but i was going to look for someone that has a knowledge of these boats to help me sail it to its new home. Anyways i just wanted to know is it possible to sail a compac 16 this far? I was going to follow the coast, it will be sailing from Dunedin to Kings bay in Crystal River. Or should i look for somone with a boat to hook me up too and tow me to crystal river? Also if anyone from this forum would be interested in helping me please let me know!! I can pay you some money for your time. Thank you very much!

Bob23

Hey, Matt. I can't help but welcome to the site.
Have you considered buying a trailer to keep it on? I don't know that I'd advise any non-experienced sailor on such a voyage solo first time out but the boat is certainly capable of those distances. I'm not familiar with your home water so I can't comment in regards to that. I wish I was down there...I'd sail with you for free just for the fun of it.
   You can expect more replies from the knowledgable,  friendly and ofter slightly off-center crew here at the site.
  Again, welcome and congrats on the new 16!
Bob23 in NJ

kickingbug1

matt, cant believe a com-pac 16 didnt come with a trailer. if it were me i would listen to bob and try and find a trailer (that is one of the beauties of these boats anyway). sailing all that way without lots of expierence in an unfamiliar boat might be a bad idea. maybe you can check with local marinas and see if you might rent a trailer for the trip. failing that many cartage companies or tow firms have flat bed trailers that can have cradles added for your boat. i can tell you one thing you have come to the right place for advice (and good advice) regarding anything com-pac    welcome aboard   bob talk him into the rendezvous if he gets a trailer
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

Oh yeah, almost forgot:
   Matt: There is a $5000.00 entrance fee for you to be a member here. I handle all internal financial affairs so please forward me the fee in small, unmarked bills. Otherwise, if you agree to attend the Carlyle Lake Rendezvous, I have the authority to waive the fee.
  This can be translated to: Hope you have a good sense of humor. If you don't- you will!
Again, welcome.
Bob23
(ps: Do you have a motor for your 16 or are you planning on buying one? An alternative would be to motor part way but that's still a long way. I'm a firm believer in shake-down cruises for any boat new to any skipper. Maybe you'll find a 16 owner nearby who'll let you borrow his trailer.)

mattt6511

Wow thanks for the friendly replies! I will look into renting a trailer, i know doing this solo would be a bad idea hopefully if i do end up doing this venture in the water i can find somone experienced to help! I was just nervous this is a small boat, but from what i have read about the compac 16 she has some weight to her and is a pretty tough little 16 foot sailboat! I starting buying saftey equipment for the boat and already purchased a dc electrical panel i was going to install some basic navigation lighting and a solar panel to keep the lights charged along with a marine battery. If i found somone to help me or found a trailer to rent im keeping it at anchorage/mooring in kings bay in crystal river till April then i would keep it at a slip. The only downside to just buying a trailer and taking it back and forth is i do not have a vehicle that could tow this my little car cant tow much. I was planning on for anchorage buying a 125 or so lb mushroom anchor or some of my friends just do a large bucket with over a 100 lbs of cement and doing it that way! Sorry i know im rambling on, im excited to get this little boat home soon but im trying to plan ahead as much as i can!

mattt6511

Hah Bob the check is in the mail :-) The boat has a little 4 hp evinrude on the back, the engine runs good but has a small leak in the fuel line which i will fix before i move her. Im going this sunday to go aboard and make up a list of what i need before i move her!

mattt6511

Also to give you some background info on me, i have my pilots license and i have wanted to take up sailing as a hobby for years now, i was very close to starting off with one of my favorite boats a catalina 27, but after lots of advice and reading quite a few books i was told if i want to be a exceptional sailor i really should learn the basics from a smaller sailboat and learn how to really sail! After lots of research the compac 16 was a excelent choice!!!!!! And i sure couldnt pass up the deal i got on this one!

Bob23

Your'e a pilot- this is perfect. You can fly the check up to me, fly me back down where I'll help you sail, we'll have a great time sailing, and then you can fly me back home. Here's the best part: I will pay all beer expenses for the entire trip. Except the flying part- NO drinking while off the ground.
Bob23

Pacman

Quote from: mattt6511 on December 31, 2010, 10:43:16 AM
Hello i recently purchased a compac 16 its currently in the water and im planning on moving it 62 miles from its current location. I am not a experienced sailor but i was going to look for someone that has a knowledge of these boats to help me sail it to its new home. Anyways i just wanted to know is it possible to sail a compac 16 this far? I was going to follow the coast, it will be sailing from Dunedin to Kings bay in Crystal River. Or should i look for somone with a boat to hook me up too and tow me to crystal river? Also if anyone from this forum would be interested in helping me please let me know!! I can pay you some money for your time. Thank you very much!

Matt,

I am in Sarasota.  I might be able to help.  You can call me at (nine41) 238-seven943. (
Number modified to prevent spammers from sending text messages)

Dave  
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Billy

Matt,
I live in Palm Harbor and may be able to go with you. That is a pretty long Haul up the coast and I imagine it would take about 15 hours or more with decent weather. And I would make sure the weather is good. It's at least 70 miles.

But a trailer is the way to go. I bought a CP16 from a guy in Bradenton w/out a trailer. I kept it at his house for two months until I finally found a trailer in Cape Coral. You should be able to find a good trailer for around $400-$500
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

mattt6511

Im still looking for a trailer but i have to move it from its current location in 3 weeks so im just trying to figure out my options :-)

mikew

Matt, Congrats on buying a fine boat. To answer your question, you may want to call the Compac factory in Clearwater. 727-443-4408 Even though the 16 is out of production these folks could point you to the  trailer brands that  were made to fit their 16's, at the time.  At least you could get a price for a new or used trailer. Also their new Legacy model trailer may fit the older 16's.  

Mike  

mattt6511

Thanks Mike, i actually just sent them a email this morning!! So i found a trailer that was being used to haul around a newer compac 16 on craigslist, the trailer looked to be in great shape the guy wanted $300!! What a deal!! By the time i got around to it he already sold it :-(

GlennB724

Trailer is def. the way to go if at all possible.  I looked at that trip on google maps, and I think you're looking at a multi day trip, minimum of two, maybe more ... depending on sea conditions and wind.  I used to move my old Hunter 25 on the Chesapeake Bay twice a year... it was about 65 or 70 miles from my winter storage to my slip.  I was lucky when I could make that trip in one day in a MUCH faster and weatherly boat.  In the short days of fall, I always planned two days.  When the winds and seas were favorable, I made it in one day a couple of times in the spring when the days are long.

CP 16's only weigh about 1100 or 1200 lbs, so even a small trailer will work out for you.  I bought my boat without a trailer, then bought a basic little LoadRite trailer, put the bunks on, and set it up myself.  wasn't that hard.  It helps if you can first get some measurements for bunk height and placement from another boat on its trailer.  Lots of CP 16's out there, I'm sure someone would let you take measurements. 

If you can't find a suitable boat trailer should do an internet search for trailers.  I think there are some DIY kits available, or even those trailers that Harbor Freight Tools sells would carry that much weight.  Just add the winch, and bunks.  You can get that stuff online too.

Billy

currently there are 2 CP16s for sale in the Tampa Bay craigslist. I bet you could call them and offer them something to use the trailer. Or at least ask them to relay that to the new owners of the boats once they sell them.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-