a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Removing main sail

Started by CaptRon28, August 21, 2010, 03:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptRon28

With shoulder surgery in 3 days, I had to put the boat away early this year. Everything was fairly simple.  Only unusual thing was that the mast track does not have a gate to allow the slugs to be easily removed. Options seem to be to remove the hinge pin holding the folding portion of the the mast to the fixed stub to slide the four of them out, or to take the slugs apart with a small screwdriver. I chose the latter option as it seemed to be easier to do. Is this what most of you do to remove the sail?

I also flushed out the Yanmar with "Salt Away", allowing it to sit maybe 10 - 15 minutes in the motor,  before the final flush with antifreeze. Got it at West Marine and it's probably the best thing to do with this salt water inhaling Yanmar if you're going to leave the boat for a few weeks or more. At the minimum I'd flush it out with fresh water. Cast iron engine blocks have to suffer with salt water sitting in them.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Rahn

That's the way I removed the sail from my Suncats and will do the same with my Horizon Cat, though I have 2 bolts holding the mast to the stub. Glad I have an outboard which should be easier for winterizing. You should consider towing to the North Channel next July. I would love to cruise with another Horizon Cat.

Good luck with your surgery.

Bob23

Ron:
   I've been through 2 rotator cuff surgerys, both quite serious but both successful. In 2008, I also had to put Koinonia in her pj's and off to bed early- in September. It was neccesary but not fun. Best of luck with your surgery. I  consider mine succesful in that I have no problem rowing 6 miles...and intend to go much further.
  We're here for you, brother.
Bob23
(ps: can't help with Horizon cat sail removal, sorry- don't know a thing about it!)

ontarioSuncat

I had the same issue with my Suncat... So I replaced the plastic sail shackles that attach the sail to the slugs with SS ones with screws. West Marine has them for sails in a package of two ot three. So now I just remove the SS shackles and leave the sail slugs on the mast. No more removing the mast which always seemed to get the lines tangled up too.