a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Forward hatch question

Started by Nate, April 09, 2005, 01:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate

Does anyone have a cool way to keep that forward hatch open, or partly open?

Does water ever come pouring inside the hole where the anchor chain goes into the boat?

I havent sailed my boat yet.  It's still in my garage! AHHH.  I called the marina and the guy that takes care of the big boats says quote, "I dont know.  I wouldnt worry about painting your bottom.  Just plunk it in the water and enjoy it.  You'll have to scrape some brown scum off, but that all will come off at the end of the year."  That when I asked him if I need to worry about a non painted boat being left in my close to home inland lake all summer...... :?

Craig Weis

West Marine has a 'slider bar inside a tube'. Open the hatch to where you like it and twist [clamp] down on the slider bar. It's a Bomar Product. Was standard on my Com-Pac 19 XL.

The 'chain Pipe' for the anchor line going below deck is suppose to have a hinged cover over the pipe that keeps rain/splash water from going below deck. Mine works fine. Again West Marine.

You don't really need to, but I would paint her bottom even in Minn. lakes. It's a short season and damn cold water. Clean her up using a rubbing compound and a 3-M scratch pad. Do three layers of Mother's Gold car wax over that. Last cote just don't rub off. See my pics on the USPS site below.

skip...

Nate

Thanks for the slider bar tip.  I've seen them before on other boats too, didnt think I could retrofit.  Door County:  I bought this boat pretty close to there, south of Green Bay, and if I remember right there was a really "Fancy" 16 CP for sale last year up there.  I think it had roller furling and a hydralic motor hoist??  My anchor rhode opening does have a chromish swivel cover over it, and I think it faces backwards (hinge is towards bow) so that should keep the water out eh?  I saw the previous owner just keeps a large bucket for all the line and I suppose I should check to see if there's water in it.  
Have a good one!
Nathan

Craig Weis

In the bow of the C-P 16 one could manufactor a bulkhead that would create a 'rope locker' to house 100 foot or so of 3 strand line. Keeps this mess away from the vee~cushions...

BTW, I always tie the non-business end of the anchor line to the compression post.  :idea:

One: I may be in 130 foot of water sailing when for some unexplained reason my anchor pin fails and my anchor rolls off the bow roller into 'the deep', so I want to make sure I can stop sailing and retreive the mess, without the loss of 150 foot of line, chain, anchor. :oops:

Two: Some 'no good' trying to make away with my ground tackle would need to break~in or cut the line.  :evil:

...The line from your locker would lead out of the rope pipe, to a shackle that is attached to the anchor chain. The anchor chain [on my boat] will not fit down through the round rope pipe. I'm thinking about an oval rope pipe [West Marine] to allow the chain to drop into the rope locker and clearing my foredeck. The new Eclipse's are already fitted with oval pipes for this reason. skip :wink:

P.S. Was it you that wanted to do away with the 'lump' under the rug in the cabin sole? That's concrete son, making that lump under the rug. :lol:

Nate

Boy, didnt know I was your son!  Anyway I just wanted to know if water comes shooting in that hole in the foredeck.  I'll be leaving the boat out all summer and wanted to know if rain and waves got in there a lot.  By the way, tell mom I love her.

multimedia_smith

Hi Nate,
I had the same issue with the Anchor Chain Hauser... (I believe that's what it's called).  Anyway, I keep my anchor stowed up front in the anchor locker in front of the battery.  I mostly do daysailing, so I haven't had occasion to haul it out and use it yet... but I plan to when we visit the barrier islands in the gulf this summer.

I had a problem with spray coming into the hole even though the hinged top was closed.  The remedy was simple... I cut a couple of sections (about 3" from some mountain bike inner tubes and streatched them over the chrome fitting.  The bottom one goes on first and the overlap of the top section of inner tube pretty much seals the opening at the rear of the fitting.

I haven't taken on a drop of water since then, even when hosing the foredeck off.

Best Regards
Dale Smith

P.S.
While we're on the subject of "buttoning up"... I found a great fitting for sealing the electrical fitting for the mast.  I have connected it for the occasional night sail but when trailering each time, I don't usually connect the mast light.
To seal it off, you can get a rubber or plastic chair leg end "stopper"... cut it down a bit and it fits right over the electrical fitting on the cabin top.
The white plastic makes it look "factory". :)

Craig Weis

That just a little left-over stuff from the service. Hope your not offended... "'cause you ani't my son." Actually my bow in the Com-Pac 19 never has taken a drop from any orfice, my rope pipe or my hatch. Yet!

Craig

Hey Nate,

Maybe you ought to see if Skip has you in his will before you disavow being in the family!  :lol:

Craig

Nate

Thats why I hate being called "son"  I'm currently active duty Air Force, have been for about 4 and a half years up here at the guard base, and have about 9 years total so I guessed you were in the military too!  Seems like military guys like to use that term a lot.  I remember in basic them kicking my bed into my locker and screaming "GET UP SON!!!" Awww those were the days.  now I'M in charge! (of a little group) haha  No offense taken.  I just have this, "new toy" anxiousness that I am trying to funnel into useful projects while I wait.  Thank you everyone for the anchor hole fixes!  I'm going to give them a shot.  Still havent been brave enough to try to pull the boat with the honda yet...  but I'll let ya know what happens!
Nate

Gil Weiss

I have had my 1990 CP16 in the water the past two seasons (about 5 months each year) and never had a problem with water getting into the chain pipe from either rain or waves. In the winter I put a turn or two of electrical tape around the fitting to keep wildlife out.