a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Various Year Models of Com Pac 16

Started by frjeff, April 07, 2005, 09:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frjeff

Looking to buy a ComPac 16. I have sen many different year models in my looking. One that I'm pretty interested in is a 1987.
Is there any particular bad news about that year that I should know about?

This is a great forum and I have learned tons already (even though I have owned 3 other sailboats: Pearson 26, Cape Dory 28 and Endeavor 40).

Thanks for all of your time.

sawyer

I'm not much of an expert on these boats, this is my first cp, 1987 cpII
hull 2433.  Sails great, teak interior, electrical panel wired to lights, bowsprit, and other than scuppers, no thru hull fittings and no centerboard, just a real nice boat. After sailing multi hull cats, this thing turns on a dime. I see no problem with pointing or coming about either. I'm a big guy and I think I can overnight on it without problems. I was looking for a freshwater boat and  looked for 3 years and bought the first one close to home.... Needs a little work, but that is half the fun...........

Good Hunting........and Sailing.                                     Doug

frjeff

Thanks for the reply. This one needs fair bit of refurb (hull and deck painting, interior paint and re-do, bow pupit, etc.) but I think I can get it real right and do it myself fairly reasonably $$.

I'm from not too far from you. Grad of Alma College and lived in Saginaw and Midland all of my life til moving here to TX 9 years ago. You on the lake by Croton Dam?

Jeff

sawyer

Actually, we live upriver from the pond on the Little Muskegon river on the east side of the causeway that goes between the Muskegon and Little Muskegon rivers in beautiful downtown Croton.  My first time out with the new boat (to us) was on the Muskegon side of the pond, otherwise I would have to put the mast down to get under the causeway bridge,  It is tricky sailing on a river backwater, some current, and the wind kind of follows the river in some places and then in others it changes.  First time out we sailed right back to the landing, second time out I used the Iron wind hanging off of the back.   Sat aft, wife and I went to Hess lake near Newaygo and practically had it to ourselves.  It is still to cold for the power boats and jetskis, just us sailors and a couple of fishing boats out.  Was a great day.......  I don't know what you have sailed, but this boat is a treat, really hunkers down and tightens up when the wind blows. Wife was very comfortable with the heeling.  That's a good thing. Did you buy it yet?????????
Doug