a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

estimated value

Started by corinthian, November 01, 2010, 10:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corinthian

Would some of you old salts offer an opinion as to a fair selling price for 1990 Compac 16/3. Very Clean. New sails, main, working jib, and genoa with furling rigging. All the standards: ladder, motor (new minn kota), battery, lights, bowsprit, anchor, etc.  New mainsail cover. Trailer with new bearings. Both trailer and boat up to date titled. I am in NC.  Thanks.

Salty19

I would say between $3100 and $4500 depending on the buyer, location, time of year and the actual condition.  Condition is the eye of the beholder!

Your boat should fetch near the higher amount come spring provided it's in very good shape (ie no hull damage, no chipped gelcoat, all hardware of quality materials and in good condition, ie ready to sail. )   I personally would deduct $ from the top end because of the trolling motor (much prefer a gas motor) and scrutinize other items like trailer tires, any leaks, teak condition, extra equipment, etc to justify or reduce price accordingly.  So if you ask the upper end and expect to get it, there should be nothing for a new owner to mention needs fixing.

I recall emailing and calling a guy about a 19 last year.  Said it was in "excellent shape and needs nothing".  The price was very good.  Being very far away, I asked for pics.  But the pictures showed impact damage on the rubrail...enough to dent the fiberglass!  Also the bottom looked like it wasn't maintained in some time or even powerwashed after the last season.  The mast step was repaired with what looked like spreading gray epoxy all over the surface and calling it a day.  It lookd horrible! Truth be told the condition looked worse than any other CP19 I've seen (pictures of).   The interior was trashed and litter was stacked up.  I would have called it poor condition at best.  But to the seller, it was "excellent".    Point here is be true to yourself and your prospects what the condition truly is otherwise you'll see the boat sitting for a long time.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603