a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lines to the cockpit

Started by peckg, January 26, 2005, 11:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peckg

I have a CP19/2 with a hanked on headsail.  I am considering running my halyards to the cockpit.  Keith Scott has discouraged me from doing this.  I am interested in hearing input from anyone who has sailed a CP19 with halyards run both ways to get their input on which is best.  Keith seems to think that lines run to the cockpit have a greater tendency to foul...then you end up going forward anyway with a more complicated task at hand.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks

peccp/19/11 "Hildegard"

tsaiapex

My jib and main halyards run to the cockpit and I never had problem with it fouling, not quite sure why Keith thinks so.

I also use the jib halyard to assist in raising/lowering the mast.  By lengthen it with an extra line and attach it at the jib clew hook (the OEM jib halyard is not long enough to run from the rope clutch on the cockpit to the jib hook) , I would hand raise the mast as far as I could while standing in the cockpit, then use the extended jib halyard to raise the mast erect for the rest of the way.  Tie the jib halyard on the cleat, then go forward to attach the forestay.

My $.02

Bruce Woods

I am amazed that Keith said that. I had a CP-19 for 7 years, and it was fine. Also, all the boats Keith is selling now already have them run to the cockpit and they work great too.

So, I know I have only done this for 12 years....but I have NEVER had a line foul....

multimedia_smith

Here's my version of the lines led aft on a 16.  When I got the boat there were two horn cleats on the wooden slider rails on the companionway hatch.  I didn't like the way they lost a little tension and I also thought that the area wasn't beefy enough for that much tension.  I added the Jam Cleats on the sides and angled them upward with some 1" plexi that I had as scrap.  These hold really well and I have the horn cleats that were on the side as a safety and as a place to store the lines.
I replaced the horn cleats with fairlead jam cleats and use them for the more lightly loaded Jib Downhaul and Whisker Pole lines.

http://www.com-pacowners.com/4images/details.php?image_id=322

http://www.com-pacowners.com/4images/details.php?image_id=322

Here's a pic
Enjoy

Dale