- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Original Tiller ??

Started by David, November 18, 2010, 08:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/Compac16/sailsup052.jpg[/IMG][IMG]

Tiller measures wood 42.5 and overall 45.5
Doc in Hardware Modifications section of forum is making a new tiller.  I would like a shorter one.  Will copy the rope wrap as it provides excellent grip in rainy weather.  Is anyone's tiller shorter than this or is this an original tiller with original wrap.

Also, what purpose do the two through vertical axis bolts serve.   Extra support for laminate glue?  They come out the bottom just as pictured on the top.  Nothing is connected to them.

Thanks in advance,
David

Bob23

My guess is that the bolts are there because the tiller started to delaminate. They are definitely not factory. Very nice rope work. Or, line work.
Bob23

Salty19

Yes, both my 19 and my brothers' 16 tillers are short.  33" length of wood, I believe.   Made from walnut.  You want a hardwood in this application.
I don't have side by side pics, but will try to take some next week.

However both of these boats have the IDA NACA0012 foiled rudder. These make tiller effort CONSIDERABLY less, night and day really.
Therefore the extra leverage of the longer tiller is not needed. Don't think a short tiller would be a good thing without a foiled rudder.  It will get a bit hard to hang onto
when the wind pipes up.

Convenience wise it's great when you have 3 or 4 crew on board.  Solo it's nice for ease of moving about, BUT it does make it more difficult to sit way forward which does make the boat sail better (the 16 that is, the 19 doesn't seem to care?).
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tim Gardner

My 19II likes to be a bit nose down in attitude - points better, tacks better, runs better and offsets my beefy butt weight.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.