a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

rig tuning

Started by twinswin, September 21, 2010, 10:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinswin

Does anyone have information on tuning the standing rigging on a 23/2?  We recently purchased and launched and I just want to make sure I don't have anything "out of whack" too far.  She has a roller furler.  She sails like a dream, plows through the chop and points better than I thought she would.

http://sdsail.blogspot.com/

Bob23

I don't have any info on shroud/stay tensions. I do know that the mast should be raked forward a bit; about 2-3 degrees. I know it looks funny but trust me, it'll help balance the helm a bit.
    I still say the "Pearl" and "Koinonia" are very close sisters...I'm 1985 23/2 hull number 321.
Best,
Bob23

newt

I know I keep beating the same drum, but I take the Loos guage (the smallest) and adjust it to the next to the lowest level. I do the shrouds first, then the stays on each side (forward stays together, then back stays) then I tighten the forestay a little and adjust the tension of the forestay and backstay by the block on the backstay. I do rake forward a bit, it keeps the boom a bit higher and the balance on the sails seems to be better. I calculated the tension from the loos guage to be about 300 lbs on the shrouds and stays...

Bob23

Thanks, Newt:
   I think I have one such a gauge burried somewhere in the confines of the starboard locker. I'll dig it up and give it a try.
Bob23

hockeyfool

I also have used the Loos guage - and Gerry H doesn't seem to know  what we should use for
recommended # tension.
On my guage - model B -  on the numbers next to the mark where you pull and hold; I read
40# being quite stiff on the lowers and 36 for the uppers .

CaptRon28

I'd use 10 to 15 percent of the wires breaking strength as a starter. You can go a drop higher, but that's usually gets you into race boat numbers. Lower could let the mast move around a drop. The gauges have a table printed on the side. Make sure that the deck (and compression post) can support it too.  Final tuning should be done on the water in 10 to 15 knots of wind. Leeward shrouds should just start to feel a little loose (that does not mean flopping around in the breeze).
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

newt

I agree Capt Ron. I generally use 5-10% breaking strenght, and go up it the stays are floppy. Using the technique I stated above I haven't had any mast flop- except after a 50 knt microburst I went through- but then my psyche needed tightening too...

twinswin

According to the manual, the measurment you are looking for is "snug".  :)