a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Weight Concerns/Motor Mount - Compac 23/3

Started by SJASPERSON, August 09, 2010, 11:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJASPERSON

I have a 1986 23/3 and sail out of Siskiwit Bay (Lake Superior, Apostle Islands).  Due to some recent problems with my (up until now) trusty  86 Suzuki 8 HP 2-stroke I am gathering information on the best options for a replacement motor.  I have talked with Compac (Jerry) and Nissan reps............and I guess my concerns really boil down the extra load on the motor mount in going from an 8 HP 2 stroke to and 8 HP 4 stroke.  I have read with interest all of the previous postings on this subject......and find there are about as many different opinions as there are owners.  I was considering the Nissan 6 HP extra long shaft SailPro....but after gathering all of the information and opinions I could..........I feel I need to go to an 8 HP long shaft.  I was attracted to the SailPro due to the light weight and extra long shaft. The lightest motor in this the 8 HP category (non-electric start) is the Nissan......at 84 lbs.  My Suzuki DT8 is probably in the range of 60-65 lbs (I could not faint the exact specs).  So I guess my question really boils down to not so much a motor recommendation but whether or not the motor mount on an 86 23/3 can handle the additional 25 lbs? I do not trailer my boat (only take the motor off for winter storage). and normally sail solo or one additional crew.....so other than the motor mount concern....I don't think there are any additional concerns with the extra weight.  Any insight and experience you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.  I love my 23/3....a great pocket cruiser for the Apostle Island area !!

Scott

brackish

What is your mount?  is it a Garelick?  What model?

The installation page for Garelick mounts has the capacities shown (Figure 8, 2nd page) for each model number.  It looks like the mounts range in capacity from 70 to 118 lbs.

http://www.garelick.com/files/12.185.pdf

If you are not going to trailer I think your plan is good, however, as you may have read in some of the earlier posts, my plan is to remove a nearly new Suzuki 9.9 with electric start and replace it with a Sailpro.  I'd rather have the lighter weight for ease of removal and replacement on trailering trips and ease of raising it when not in use in addition to better trim.  I also want the extra shaft length and high thrust prop.

BobK

Scott,
My 23 has the Honda 8 hp extra long shaft (25") high thrust at about 107#.  It also has the Garelick mount that is designed for it.  I can move the motor up and down without a problem but I don't believe my wife would be able to raise it.  I have made a jib boom that goes over the stern railing that I mount the boom vang to that is connected to a harness that allows me to mount or remove the motor single handed.
BobK   

Shawn

"I was considering the Nissan 6 HP extra long shaft SailPro....but after gathering all of the information and opinions I could..........I feel I need to go to an 8 HP long shaft. "

I went from an 8hp Johnson 2 cylinder 2 stroke to the Tohatsu SailPro and it handles the 23/3 just fine.

Shawn

Craig Weis

Engine weighs 52 lb. Scissors engine mount hung on the standard Com-Pac transom is right out of the West Marine catalog. It states good for 20 hp. Mine I changed a bit. Two inch back and two inch down. Zero slop Powder Coated Rudder Stock in Hammertone Grey. Two bronze shoulder bushings, top and bottom, 1/2" O/D. Rudder stock on transom drilled for these and ss bolts with ss flat washers and grease 'tween 'em. Lock Nuts up!

SJASPERSON

Quote from: Shawn on August 09, 2010, 04:39:06 PM
"I was considering the Nissan 6 HP extra long shaft SailPro....but after gathering all of the information and opinions I could..........I feel I need to go to an 8 HP long shaft. "

I went from an 8hp Johnson 2 cylinder 2 stroke to the Tohatsu SailPro and it handles the 23/3 just fine.

Shawn

Thanks so much for the reply Shawn.  The SailPro 6 HP was really my first choice .........and it is good to know you have been satisfied.  I really don't do any extended motoring and sail in a very protected area.........so I am really leaning in the direction of the SailPro.  I like the idea of keeping the weight and size to a minimum.........as I really love the lines of the 23/3.....and want the outboard to be as inconspicuous as possible.  Once again ...thanks for your help....Scott

SJASPERSON

Thanks to all who responded......it is really great to have this resource.....and as you can see....I am still learning how to use it.  I think I am about ready to order a SailPro 6 HP extra long shaft.  I normally do long day sails out of Siskiwit Bay and my motoring time and distance is minimal.  I too like the feature of the extra long shaft and keeping the motor weight to a minimum.  I've certainly learned much in this process......and hopefully am making a good choice.....if not.........I guess I will go to Plan B whatever that may be...... (don't tell my wife).

Take care,
Scott

Salty19

Plan B: Shop around for a used but fresh 8hp, 2 stroker, 2 cylinder longshaft that weighs 60lbs.    Or fix your motor (what's wrong with it-sometimes fixes come easy)

Could probably save $600 and enjoy better trim and power when you need it on superior.   

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

SJASPERSON

I ended up purchasing a new 6 HP Nissan Sail Pro and am very satisfied with the weight and performance.  The final input on this decision was reached by talking with a former harbor master from Santa Monica CA.  He told me he had a 6 HP on a 27' Catalina (7,000 lb) and found it to be more than adequate.  I really like the ultra long shaft and the fact that it is even a little lighter than my 2 cycle Suzuki 8 HP.  I also purchase a new Honda 2 HP long shaft as a dinghy motor and backup for the SailPro..............I have it mounted on the stern rail when not towing the dinghy. I found out the problem with my Suzuki was the CDI electrical unit....and the cost to replace it (new) would have been about $325. Thanks again to all who offered advice...............hopefully I made a good decision......so far so good.

Scott

Craig Weis

That Briggs and Straton AIR COOLED four stroke 6 hp engine with F-N-R at under $700 off the net is a good buy. It's light weight but may sound a little like a lawn mower...best is no water pump. How much abuse does a lawn mower engine take and keep on ticking? Saw one on a bigger sail boat than my CP-19 at a marina I visited a few weeks ago.

skip.

Salty19

Note that a lot of 8hp motors are just well-tuned 6hp motors...meaning the same weight but with more power.
Same goes for 4 and 5 hp motors...many of them are identical with the exception of carb settings and perhaps better intake reeds and larger exhaust ports.

This is more the case for 2 cycle engines.  4 strokes tend to have their own configuration for any given hp level.

So sja sounds like you found a new motor..good choice too.   Are you going to wire in the battery charger? And what are you going to do with the old motor?

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603