a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

storage

Started by corinthian, August 31, 2010, 06:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corinthian

Has anyone cut into the seating of the CP 16/3 to install storage hatches. I had two in my O'day 22 and if I remember right, drainage for rain, etc. was somehow built into the system and could be a problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Craig Weis

If it's like my 19 there is no room below the quarter births. I looked.  But I made a 16" x 16" hatch in front of my compression post. A goodly amount of stowage below that.

Ohhhh I did not pick up on the storage being on the settees, like on a 19. I assumed that the 16 already had lift up hatches. So that's where the rain gutter stuff came from...make sense now. My mistake.

I was thinking this...

Not this...

skip.

lostsailor101

If you would like to see what is under bunks check out this thread on page 5 "One thing leads to another".
There are some pretty interesting photos.

Salty19

I didn't do that but yes thought about it quite a bit.  I had plans to put two of them on either side towards the stern but never got around to it.
Sorry I can't recommend a hatch but was looking at Bomar.

Skip, he's talking about putting access hatches on the seat area itself in the cockpit. Plenty of room below to store gear (not below the berths as you mention).
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

GlennB724

That very thing is on the list of stuff I wanted to do this season but will be doing next season.  LOL  Looking forward to having the stowage for fenders, line, etc.  I think the hatches are water tight, and they mount with a surface flange.  If you properly bed it with silicon or maybe 5200 for structural integrity, I don't think you need to worry about rain gutters.

newt

Glenn, I can't quite see what you are proposing. 5200 is a sealant. It sticks to the point of tearing off the fiberglass when new. And where are you saying rain gutters are not needed?

Caboose

More space = more stuff.
Look in your garage, closet, shed, and trunk of car for proof.

Think about it.

Billy

I would not recommend cutting into the seats (making your own lazerettes). It will be a water proofing nightmare, and might disrupt the structural integrity of the cockpit. (I'm an Architect and I am always fighting w/ contractors about sealant. It only last a little while and then leaks. You need a good over laping system that will allow rain to drain w/ out relying on some sealant that will dry out in 2 years. Plus it looks like crap, even when applied neatly.) Look at how the 19 and 23s are (I'll try to post pics later) or the stern hatch on your 16. Also you won't have enough room to lie down in the 1/4 births below. I think it's a bad idea.

Just get a 19 if you want more space for more stuff, 3 footitis is a very common disease and nothing to be ashamed about!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

I tend to agree on the waterproofing thing..one of the reasons (besides laziness, the primary reason!) I didn't install them on the 16.  I didn't need more "stuffS, just better access to the "stuff" (mostly fenders, engine oil, coozies, sunscreen etc)

The hatch needs to bear some sort of lip that channels water away from the hatch opening.    I don't know a lot about sealants, but one would think that a good sealant would last more than a few years???

Some time back someone had posted pics of aft lockers on the seats...they looked great and I don't recall reading about problems (of course they may now be leaking and we woulnd't know about it).

No doubt the lockers on the 19's and up are real handy and well executed.    One of my favorite differences between the 16 and 19. 

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

GlennB724

Quote from: newt on September 08, 2010, 12:14:59 AM
Glenn, I can't quite see what you are proposing. 5200 is a sealant. It sticks to the point of tearing off the fiberglass when new. And where are you saying rain gutters are not needed?

What I meant, is to make a cut out in the cockpit seat and install Bomar inspection hatches to access the space under the cockpit seats, (normally intended as quarter berths).  I never sleep aboard, but I would like to have accessible storage for some stuff, (fenders, sails, line, sail cover, etc.) that otherwise sits in the cabin just inside the companionway.  I am perfectly familiar with the properties of 5200, (both good and bad), and the reason I intend to use that rather than silicon caulking, is that it is permanent and will offer a degree of structural integrity by bonding the flange of the hatch to the cockpit seat (which will be compromised by the cut out).  If one were very nervous, he could use the flange as a template and cut additional strengthening members to mount on the underside of the seat surface.  The reason no gutters are needed is that the hatches sit above the level of the seat, so water will flow off the hatch, to the seat, to the cockpit sole, and out the scuppers.  Essentially these are just bigger versions of the small round inspections hatches that are already at the aft end of the seats which allow access to the stern bilge area.