a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

eclispe capability as a coastal sailor

Started by gmerrill, April 27, 2010, 06:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I currently own a legacy.  very happy with the boat but i hope to be moving up to something a little larger
to do some coastal sailing.  By that i mean staying in sight of land and sailing from point to point within a day.
i am curious if someone a couple have done this and are satisfied with the overall capacity of the eclispe.  Space and stability

greg
legacy

Glenn Basore

Greg,

I have a 2006 Eclipse and love the boat. I sail off Ventura California (Ventura Marina)

As much as I would like to sail down the cost with my Eclipse, I think I would want a Com Pac 23 / 25 or larger.

If I was able to sail with several other boats going to the islands off Ventura for a week end and they would keep and eye on me i would like to try it.

Craig Weis

When I toured the Eclipse at the All Sail Boat Show in Chicago.
A very nice comfortable boat.
Lack of a walking deck to go fwd, that missing transom, and remembering to put the center board down would be taxing on an old fart like me.

skip.

gradycampbell

I sail out of Fort Lauderdale and Miami. I often do as you describe when the weather is clearly favorable, going up or down the coast on the Atlantic while staying in sight of land. I have felt completely comfortable doing that, but I do have to pick my days when it really looks like I can be confident of the weather. The main reason for feeling comfortable is that the Eclipse seems to be particularly good at handling seas, moreso that most other boats her size. But one does have to remember that she will not float when full of water.

crazycarl

Ah, yes...the Eclipse is my dream boat!  I love the styling, the overhead arch, and the open transom.  If a wave did make it's way into the cockpit, it would flow out almost as fast.  Also, the open transom would make it so much easier for my wife to reenter after a a swim. Every year we visit the Strictly Sail show in Chicago and tour the Eclipse.  The only problem with it?  Coming up with the $$$!
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Glenn Basore

I agree, she is a good looking boat.

I was at Monterey Bay Calif. for a regatta of sort, there were a few Com Pac owners there  who have not seen an Eclipse here on the west cost as yet, they spent some time looking at her while I was prepping her to launch giving many compliments

I know of one other Eclipse here on the west cost and its in San Diego, Calif

Glenn B.

kickingbug1

im with carl on this one. after seeing an eclipse close up and spending some time aboard one in a slip, i know what will replace my cp16 in the future. one super boat
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"