a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

auto pilot

Started by jerryd, June 12, 2010, 10:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryd

Has anyone had any experience with an auto pilot on a Horizon Cat?  I recently helped a friend deliver a 29' Bristol with an auto pilot hooked up to the tiller.  It was a great relief to take a break from maintaing a bearing on open water.  I am not at all familiar with the mechanics of the Cat's steering and am not sure if it is even possible.

CaptRon28

I'd like to do it too. Would make single handing a lot easier. But I'm not sure it can be done. The wheel is probably too small for one of the wheel mounted systems. There is not much room down below to mount a linear actuator, and what would you attach it too anyway? I saw a diagram once of a system that looked like it could be the same as ComPac uses. But I have to take a good look at what's hidded from view. 

On the other hand, I've seen ads for a few cat boats (not ComPac) with some sort of autopilot attached to them, so it looks like it may be do-able.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Rahn

One of the Horizon Cats that just sold had an autopilot and, the best that I can tell, it looked like a Raymarine Smartpilot X5. Here's a link:

http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SITE=1&SECTIon=2&PAGE=1839&PRODUCT=4177

I just picked up a Horizon Cat yesterday from Cape Cod and am beginning my upgrades. Would love an autopilot but the X5 cost around $1500.

Here's my new boat:

I sold a Suncat to get it and I'm surprised at how much more boat the Horizon Cat is than the Suncat.

CaptRon28

According to RayMarine, the X5-Sport is for small power boats. It mounts to the hub area of the wheel. Not sure if it will work on our hub or if it even has normal sailboat functions (tack, etc.)  Other X-5 models (made for sailboats) mount to the wheel itself or to a below deck tiller arm.

The ring that mounts to the wheel for wheel mounted sailboat pilots is probably too large for our tiny wheel.

Without taking anything apart, I took a peak at what's steering our boat. The hub of our small wheel is on a shaft that runs to a box which has a single push-pull cable coming out of it. That connects to one end of a rod mounted on a bracket about 1 foot to the left of the the rudder. The other end of the rod goes to one of two holes in the tiller arm. That leaves one hole empty that could be used for a small linear actuator. The other end would get mounted to a bracket maybe 18 inches to the right of the rudder. It's probably do-able, but the expense would be up in the $2000+ dollar range. Below deck autopilots are normally used on much larger boats, usually in the 20,000+ pound range, and priced accordingly. Sort of overkill for the 3,000 pound Horizon. If someone makes a smaller (and cheaper) below deck pilot that could work.
Ron Marcuse

Rahn

Here are pictures of the boat with what looks to be the Raymarine Smartpilot or an earlier version.

jerryd

Thanks for the help folks.  That photo with an auto pilot shows that it can be done and not be obtrusive.  A neat setup but it looks like it would need some professional help (at least I would need it).  The raymarine website lists dealers and those that provide installation.  Of course every boat is different and our chosen lady is not easy to fool with, but apparently,  there is someone out there who figured it out.  A sizable investment but at this stage, what's a few more grand.  (lol) Maybe next season.  Almost wish I never used an auto pilot... hard to go back.   

CaptRon28

We need to do more research. If it's a Smartpilot X-5 Sport Pilot (and the hub based servo looks like it is), the setup and instruction manuals have a "Not available" label for saiboat on the setup screen. Supports all kinds of powerboats. It looks like it will fit though. Maybe I'll give Raymarine a call today.
Ron Marcuse

CaptRon28

Raymarine got back to me. The X-5 Sport Pilot will work on the Horizon. Didn't say much else. Based on the installation manual, you've got to reverse the wires going to the servo (because the autopilot is facing the back of the boat - the wrong direction).

The price is a little high - cheapest I've seen is about $1500 (plus the rudder postion sensor which may be needed). I'd prefer to mount a small linear actuator to the 2nd hole on the tiller arm. It's safer (wheel or cable could break and you could still steer with the pilot) and it doesn't move the wheel forward about a half foot. I may look around some more to see if anyone makes a small and reasonably priced below deck system. Most of them would be overkill for a 3,000 pound boat.
Ron Marcuse

Greysailor

Howdy all,

I bought the pictured boat.  The auto is a SmartPilot and works very well.  Actually holds the course better than the ST4000 I had on my last boat, a Beneteau 411.  Could be because this little cat catches a lot less wind!  :)

Craig Weis

Looks great! Good installation. Works good as long as the 'juice' holds out. With in board engines not a problem but O/Bs tend to be a bit shy on charging the battery pak.
Sure is a nice boat.

skip.

Salty19

Rahn and Graysailor--Congrats...very nice looking boats.    When the time comes to upgrade from my 19 (hopefully not a very long time!), the HC is near the top of the list.

Gray--You'll have to take and post some pics of the other areas of the installation that we can't see.  I'm sure the other HC owners would really appreciate it.  If you don't know how to post pics, send them to me and I'll post 'em for you.  My email is in my profile.

Again congrats...enjoy sailing her.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

CaptRon28

Installation of the SmartPilot X-5 Sport Pilot is probably straight forward. The motorized hub fastens to the original steering shaft and to the back of the cockpit, and the wheel gets bolted onto the motors shaft, thereby positioning the wheel maybe 5 inches further forward. Mount the fluxgate compass away from any large iron assemblies (like the Yanmar),  the computer below deck, and the control panel within reach (probably on the cabin bulkhead) and connect everything together with the cables and to a 12v dc source and maybe your SeaTalk network if you have one (wind, depth, speed, gps). Only trick in this installation would be to connect the motor wires backwards because the pilots hub is facing the wrong direction. Power it up, set the options and rotate the boat slowly to align the compass. Note that it might work better with the optional rudder postion indicator connected.

Raymarine also makes a handheld remote control which would allow you to steer from anywhere on the boat, and to see any of the instrument readings (boat speed, wind, depth) on it's display. I've got one on the Telstar and it really nice to have on this 18+ feet wide platform. I can steer while sitting in one of the ama's.

This is the link to the X5 Sport Pilots pilots installation manual - http://www.raymarine.com/GetFile.aspx?fileId=660&categoryId=3.
Ron Marcuse