a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

width of the cabin walkway in SunCat?

Started by shamblin, August 10, 2010, 01:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamblin

Im thinking of buying a Horizon Cat or a Suncat. Can someone measure the width of the cabin walkway of the Suncat and let me know.

Thanks,

Bill  Shamblin

Tom Ray

There are three possible answers here, depending on how you mean the question.

The width of the companionway (doorway to the cabin)?

The width of the step down into the cabin (the only place you actually walk in a Sun Cat cabin)?

Or the width of the teak and holly sole itself, though you just sort of step down onto it and then sit?

Or do you want all three numbers? Our boat is right outside and I'll measure anything you want.

What do you want to do with the boat? And the really important question: what are you actually likely to do with it? For mostly daysailing and occasional overnights, the Sun Cat is a great boat and is simpler and cheaper to buy and maintain. If you want to spend more than one night aboard and/or do overnight cruising often, you'll appreciate the space and capability of a Horizon Cat. I like the outboard version, but 9 out of 10 people disagree.

Have you checked out the Great Book of Catboat Knowledge yet?

shamblin

Thanks.

I need the width of the floor you walk on in the cabin. I wonder if I can find a place to sit upright inside the cabin and lean back against something.  I bet  I can lean back against the bulkhead between the cabin and cockpit.   Or maybe I could sit on the floor and lean back somehow.

A friend bought a Suncat and said "you can sit up but you cant lean back."   Im 6'3"

Ill check out the book. 8-)

Bill

ontarioSuncat

I am 6'3" and have no problem sitting in my suncat, I lean against the bulkhead to read.

Tom Ray

Hi Bill,

A few measurements for you. The companionway is 24" wide across the top. It's a little difficult to squirm inside with the mast down, but I do it when needed.

The width of the forward end of the step down (also the width of the aft end of the teak and holly piece) is 26.5".

If you sit facing foward, back against the bulkhead, as OntarioSC suggests, the headroom from the bench to the cabin top is 34" without the cushion in place. That is measuring more or less in the middle of where your head would probably land. If you measure closer to centerline, it's higher, and further out it's lower. I just sat on the bench and put my hand on the roof above my head to guess where a head might land.