a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

painting trailer

Started by Deb, September 15, 2009, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

Howdy Y'all, I finally got around to painting my tailer.  Used the cold galvanizing spray paint.  Looks so nice.
Deb

Bob Condon

My trailer was in good shape except that one of the past owners welded the
tilt system closed. I expect that they had some issues with the trailer.

In doing so, they did not paint where the weld work was done. I sprayed the trailer down
and let it bake dry in the sun and then used Forrect Green Rustoleum and painted the trailer.

Looks a lot better also.

I replaced the tires because on one of the 250 mile trips, one of the tires shreaded itself on the
highway. It held air but half of the tread was gone. Pulled off the exit (112 in Augusta Maine) and asked
if there was a trailer company in the area and low and behold, up one mile was one of the largest
camping stores in Maine... he only had 96 tires and rims that I needed in stock!

Thats a lucky day!..

I replaced both of them there for $76 each and found that on-line they were over $100 each plus shipping.

I have told my wife at least 10 times this year that this is my favorite exit.

Bob

Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

Steve Ullrich

I'm sure it looks great. Can you post any pictures?  My trailer has a couple of spots that are getting rusty.  I've given some thought to painting it but I've been too lazy so far...

Quote from: Deb on September 15, 2009, 10:35:42 AM
Howdy Y'all, I finally got around to painting my tailer.  Used the cold galvanizing spray paint.  Looks so nice.
Deb
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Deb

Hi Guys,  I prepped the trailer with lots of sanding, washing then Rustoleum metal primer.  It really was all pretty easy.  I'd say it's not a A+ job but it's done.  It's the original 84 trailer with 2 great shape Hutchins trailer stickers and one yukked out.  I have had a few folks look it over and they say it's fine.  I also replaced one shaft and roller and the bow stop.
Deb

David

Quote from: Deb on September 17, 2009, 11:19:18 PM
"Hi Guys,  I prepped the trailer with lots of sanding, washing then Rustoleum metal primer.  It really was all pretty easy.  I'd say it's not a A+ job but it's done.  It's the original 84 trailer."
Deb

Deb,  I'm new to forum, but have read it for over a year.  Acquired a 1980 Compac 16 that needs some work which is presently under way.  Want to do the trailer also, as boat is off trailer.  No hurry as my water pond(MS. Coastal Waters) still has oil in parts of it.

Galvanized 1980 original Magic Tilt trailer.  My question to you is, how deep did you sand?  Did you use paper rough enough to leave fine scratch lines in metal, and which primer did you use to prime trailer before using the spray cold galvanizing compound paint by Rust-oleum?  Rust-oleum has three base primers for metal.

How is the job holding up and are you fresh water or salt water environment?

I apologize to all if this post does not post correctly the first time.

Thanks,  David

Bob Condon

When I painted mine, I used a grinder with a wire brush on it. It would be the same as wire brushing but a whole lot faster.

I nexted used 2 coats of green Rusoleum and being in the weather and fresh water, looks good.

Another product out there is an epoxy-paint at about $65/quart. This is a black paint
and really is pigmented epoxy and guarentees rusted paint to be encapsulated with one coat. You
can paint with anything you want over it.

A good friend used it on a flatbed steel framed trailer which is 40 years old, and rusty. He wire brushed it
and painted it on. You do use gloved. You can not get paint in the rim and then put the cover on because it
is glued shut... The product is really good but throw out the clothes, the gloves and if you get it on you, get it off right
away because it lasts a very long time!

Bob Condon
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226