a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rigging question

Started by hpetercoke, April 05, 2005, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpetercoke

Trying to learn to sail the new boat, 1987 CP-19-2. :D I see in the Com-Pac owners manual figure #15 shows a "topping lift" attached to the butterfly on the boom.  I don't see any other drawings to show how it attaches at the top of the mast.  :? Can someone tell me how it should be rigged?
Peter

dgholmes

Mine is a CP-16 and on the top of the mast there is a whole drilled in the middle of the mast head fitting.  The topping lift line is passed through the hole with a figure eight tied in the tag end.  The line the attaches to the boom end as you mentioned.  If you need a photo, let me know.

Craig Weis

The boom on a CP19...Do you need a topping lift?

1~ Buy a round sail stop and slot it under the boom. When the sail goes slack...the boom stays in place. [You also need a second sail stop under the sail, so when the sail goes slack, the sail stays in the mast slot. Not all over the deck.

2~From the back stay [standing rigging] u-bolt a wire rope from the back stay to the 'butterfly' at the back of the boom. At the end of this wire rope splice on some sort of a easy clip that clips through the butterfly. Try to find a clip that opens on the bottom, not to the side. Tape-up the u-bolts for appearance. Wire rope is about 14~18 inch long when finished.
When sailing clip the easy clip to the back stay. Keeps it out of the way.
May be able to see it in skip's pics below.