Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jabsco galley sink only pump...

Started by brackish, July 15, 2010, 06:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

...anyone tried one?

The original manual pump in my slide out sink is close to shot.  The hose barb on the bottom is broken off, and I jury rigged it to work.  Additionally, the pump packing is shot and I can't seem to keep it from leaking no matter how much I tighten the nut. The long vertical stroke pump is difficult to use, and the long tube underneath hangs up on things when the unit is pulled out or put back. I checked on parts from fynnspray and it is evident that it would make more sense to replace the whole pump.

I like having the sink (although I wish it was deeper and bigger).  I'm thinking of getting a Jabsco 12V pump and faucet (about 83 bucks delivered from iboats, not much more than the manual lever pumps).  That would also make it a lot easier to dump my tank for winter or before a long tow.

The other alternative is to replace it with a manual lever pump, much easier to use.

Any experiences?

BobK

I considered using the jabsco pump kit on my boat but the pump is not self priming and must be mounted below the water tank.  I'm not sure the if flexible water tank could supply the pump with the needed water supply pressure to allow the centrifugal pump to work.  I waited until West Marine had a sale on the Shurflo 2gpm automatic pressure pump.  This was installed at the back of the starbord side quarter birth.  I plumbed  it to a Y with one side feeding the sink and the other feeding a hose in the starbord sail locker to be used for showers or cleaning the boat.  I purchased a foldong tap at a local rv supply house and mounted it where the manual pump was removed.  This has worked well for me for the last 3 years and you can't beat the hose in a water fight.
Bob

brackish

My 23 has a hard tank and I think it would work, but the idea of have the auxiliary hose is intriguing.  I don't have a hose bib at my slip and that would help with wash down. Thanks, I'll look into that.  Did you mount a hose connection with a valve, or one of those recessed showers,  or do you just leave the hose hooked up with a nozzle on it?

I should probably buy Shurflo anyway since I used to work for them (Pentair, different division), and still have a bunch of their stock.  Probably could get an inter division discount if I was still an active employee.

BobK

I just leave the hose hooked up with a nozzle on it.  I leave the electric off to the pump unless I need water then the demand -on off on the pump takes care of the need.

brackish

Thanks BobK,  It worked out.  West had that pump on sale $30 off, free shipping and and additional 10% for a hundred buck order (needed a few other things).  Think that will be much better than my original plan.

Bob23

I'm glad this topic came up. I removed my sink a few years ago and built in a slide out chart table instead. The bladder is still in place and the above pump/hose idea sounds great. I'd love to be able to take a fresh water shower in the boat as well as having a good weapon for water fights!
Thanks, Bob23

brackish

Making progress on this, last trip to the boat identified another item that needed to be replaced , the galvanized street ell that Compac installed in the tank, so couldn't finish the job.  A mistake.  Ell was very corroded and when jostled to remove other parts, would no longer seal.  It will not be replaced with galvanized steel.

Thank you BobK for the embedded tip on using RV supply houses for parts.  I decided to add a strainer and the one I wanted, a Shurflo with a half inch pipe inlet and a half inch swivel nut (that attaches directly to the pump inlet) retailed marine with shipping for $25 to $32 dollars (West as usual the highest).  Exact same thing sells at Camping World for $11.10 and my son works near by and can pick it up and bring it to me next week.

Amazing how many exact duplicates sell outside the marine retail channels for so much less.  The word Marine must add 50% to the retail price.

brackish

This project is finished, in a much better fashion than the original post suggests thanks to BobK's suggestion:

The pump, strainer and new plumbing:

New shutoff valve for the sink drain thru hull:

New hose bib for washdown and deck shower in the starboard cockpit locker:

New folding tap at the sink:

It is sooo nice to be able to turn a tap and get water and to have a deck wash down and deck shower.  Now to teach the Admiral about conservation with the eleven gallon tank.

BobK

Brackish,
It looks like a great install job.  My 23 does not have the sink through-hull ---YET.
BobK

brackish

Quote from: BobK on August 25, 2010, 10:26:27 PM
Brackish,
It looks like a great install job.  My 23 does not have the sink through-hull ---YET.
BobK

Thanks, the thru hull was factory installed, I added the ball valve and changed the hose to a better quality.  It worried me.  The thru hull is underwater with a heel to starboard and the original hose was not very high quality, had many cracks and a taped up split in it.  If it failed while sailing, could fill up the boat before I knew it was taking on water.  When the boat is level and you use the sink tap, the drain hose stays completely full up to an inch of the sink tailpiece because of the relative heights of the thru hull and the sink drain, but I guess that's OK, kind of a long trap.  Anyway, thanks again for the advice, I like this much better than what I was contemplating.

where does your sink drain, the bilge?

BobK

Now it drains to the bilge which means washing dishes etc has to be done in a bucket.  Now the sink is used to wash hands and rinse clean glasses.  I'll install the  thru hull shortly.
BobK