a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C23's -- how to run jib sheet from outside jib track for trimming

Started by hockeyfool, August 26, 2010, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

I have an 81' C23 and there are outside jib/genoa tracks about 5 ft. long and it seems that running a sheets from the tracks
to the winch becomes a problem for smooth trimming ; the line gets pinched off and  hampers smooth
control .
running sheets straight from fairlead on cabin-top to winch serves only for hauling in but has no variable
trim angles without running  to track .
How do you guys do it ?

Bob23

Hock:
   On my 23, the jibsheets run to a car on the genoa track then to a block located at the aft end of the track then to the winches which are in my case are Andersen self tailers, thanks to a previous owner who had deep pockets. I then either leave them in the winches or cleat 'em off to the cleats right next to the winches.
   Contrary to popular belief, I will learn how to post photos here someday...a picture is worth a thousand words.
Bob23

brackish

I run mine to the car/block on the track and then directly to the sheet winch, then to a camcleat on the inside of the cockpit coaming slightly aft of the winch.  The angles from the block to the winch and the winch to the cleat are a little awkward and sometimes the line tends to overlap on the winch as a result.  This is particularly true when I have my 110 on and the car is somewhat forward on the track.

Bob23, that extra block at the aft end of the track probably works a lot better making the approach angle to the winch much more friendly.  And self tailer's, life must be good.  I've got winchers installed, but they don't work nearly as well as self tailing winches.

Salty19

Well, I may not know what I'm talking about here so feel free to ignore me.

Why would you use the genoa tracks for a 110% jib?  Why not use the forward eyes and direct the sheet to the winch directly? That's what they are there for me thinks.

On the 19, which I know is not the same thing but appears to be laid out similarly, if I lead the 110% sheets to the genoa tracks first, I loose sail shape and she doesn't steer as close to the wind, and sheeting seems to not correct this.   So I don't use them at all with the 110.  They are afterall genoa, not jib tracks.

Again ignore me if you feel otherwise on a CP23.

Brack--I like the cam cleats aft of the winch too, put them on the 19 this spring.  I would loathe cleating them off each time (lots of tacks on my lake).

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

brackish

Why would you use the genoa tracks for a 110% jib?  Why not use the forward eyes and direct the sheet to the winch directly? That's what they are there for me thinks.

Forward eyes?:)  Don't exist on my boat.  The track is positioned to get an appropriate sheeting angle on the 110 and probably up to a 150.

Salty19

Ah..that explains a lot!     Yep, forward eyes exist on the smaller boats.  Must be the way the CP23's are designed vs. smaller boats.

Craig Weis

From the head sail clew, I run both sheets on the outside of everything, through the [oversized pulley] block on the tracks, up and around the winch two times and finally to the cleat. To save the fiberglass on the combing as the sheets rub on them I have screwed on port and starboard stainless steel rub bars, embedded in 3-M 5200, that are typically used on Chris-Craft boats for the same purpose.

I replaced my headsail sheet with a long enough line to reach either the windward or lee side winch. That way I can winch her from the high side. Yes the sheet goes across the whole cockpit, but with only one sole on board, who cares? I never used those 'bulls eyes' the factory put on.

And always set the line from the clew to the block to point toward the middle of the headsail.

Years ago I did mount a pair of Harken Jam Cleats facing backward to lock down the head sail sheet instead of using the cleat. That sounded like a good idea but it doesn't work well. So I don't use them either.

skip. The jam cleats are in this picture, if one can make them out. Follow the headsail sheet.

hockeyfool

Thankx and hello skip,
I noticed in the pic you have a merc - so do I and 2 twice now
I have a real weird problem - mine is a 8hp 2cycle that  came with the boat - but now ( 2 weeks after owning the boat
my motor will not shut off - the  on/off switch did'nt do it - nor the little red button on the end of throttle .
Also - now the tilt doesnt lock up !
I don;t have the manual - and think I will have to buy  one from mercury.
It is a 97' I think.

Salty19

Skip, you're running a genoa. Makes a difference in terms of sheet angles compared to a jib.  Sail shape is not good with a jib running to genoa tracks, on the 19.  Lord knows I've messed around it!