a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cockpit cushions

Started by Tim22, June 13, 2011, 08:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim22

I am thinking about cockpit cushions for my SunCat. Does any know who manufactures them for Com-Pac, or have recommendations for a supplier.

Thanks
Tim22

edbuchanan

Hi Tim,

JSI made a set of cockpit cushions for our 23/II.  They were the original equipment supplier for Com-Pac and I would guess they still have a connection.  They have all the patterns for Com-Pac, so you don't have to supply detailed drawings to them.

The cushions are now over 15 years old and are still fine.  They have also made a complete set of sails (4!), deck canvas, interior cushions, and sheets for my boat.  You can find them here: http://www.newjsi.com/

Ernie (Molly, 23/II 1984)

Billy

I have two of these (in Navy) and love'em love'em love'em. When I brought them home and told my wife how much they cost she was mad. But then after using them she loves'em loves'em loves'em!!!

You can move them onto the deck or the beach!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=452793&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10118&subdeptNum=10822&classNum=10828
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Billy

Bob23

Billy:
   I have the "Sport-a-seat" which is the original of which WM made the chinese copy. I'm sure they are both equyally comfortable. I love mine, love mine, love mine!!! I bought it at the last years Annapolis show at a show discount. What I really like about it is it allows me to face somewhat forward while having a hand on the tiller and all with great back support!
Bob23

Salty19

Gents,  I have a few questions about the seat cushions you've posted.   

First of all, do they attach in any way to the boat?  If not, are they prone to moving around/sliding?  How do you keep them stable?
Second, maybe third question :) ,  How heavy are they?  Can they be moved around on each tack relatively easily?    Are they a pain to move when accessing the lockers?

Lastly, if you had the "official" cockpit cushions sold by Hutchins, or similar, do you think you would prefer one over the other?

I kinda like the idea of full cokpit cushions because I move around a lot but they will not give add'l back support. In fact, they will probably reduce it due to the height of the cushions.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

Salty,
Get'em! They don't attatch but the bottom is rubber so they do not slide. They are very light and can be moved about easily! I just throw them into the cabin when I'm done.

When in a sitting up position they do not interfear w/ the lockers. Plus you get a nice backrest against the bulkhead.

If they are flat they do get in the way of the locker, but no more than a factory seat cushion does. Actually less b/c they are shorter and ridged so you can span accross the cockpit.

And I sail larger boats w/ seat cushions and these are better! I have two and then just use my two throwables (matching color of course!!) aft of the cushions and it works great. You could get 4 but two works!

Get them, you won't regret it!

Salty19

Wow, with such good reviews how can I not pick up a set?!?!    Decisions, decisions!!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603