a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

battery charger

Started by PEggermann, February 25, 2006, 08:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEggermann

Does anyone leave their battery chargers on all the time, or only while your around.  Some people aren't worried and do it all the time and some are afraid something might happen and start a fire.  What are your opinions?

spaul

Paul, if you're using trickle chargers I believe they can be safe if hard wired in some way. The normal (cheap) battery clamps that come with these things can snap off an cause problems. If you're talking about high current chargers I prefer to be around and monitor their charge.
Just my humble opinion, be safe when you can.
Steve Paul

Connie Meadows

Paul, I have a charger that is regulated.  I leave it on all the time, esp. when I am not going to be down for a while.  I worry about the bilge of course.  It is built into my companion way.

spaul

Paul and Connie,
I think a well regulated charger should be fine. What we don't want to do is cook your batteries. By cooking I mean run the water level below the plates and warp them. I'm assuming these connections are tight and not just clamp on.
Steve

Connie Meadows

Hi there!  Yes, they are connected.  Mine also charges in steps.  I check the water level every 1-2 months.  It all depends on the type of charger you are using.