Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

secrets of keeping water system clean??

Started by shamblin, August 23, 2010, 03:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamblin

Sailors,

I have had several sailboats with inside inflatable water tanks but have never used them because i was told "as soon as you use them they start growning mold, brown yuk, etc. and you have to add chemicals and the water will never be clean after that".

It must be true there is a way to use the water system without creating an everlasting cess pool??  What are the things to do and not do to keep the water tank clean and tasting good?

Thanks,

Bill   

CaptRon28

DON'T LET THE WATER SIT IN THE TANK(S).

If you don't empty them after maybe 2 or 3 weeks via normal usage, flush them out and start over. There are tablets and other chemicals that can be added to the tank, but those will not last forever either. You've got maybe 2 months with them. Hey - why do you think that sailors 200+ years ago drank mostly rum and beer? The water turned rancid maybe 3 weeks out of port. Nothing else to drink on board.

That's probably as good an excuse as any to open a bottle of Pussers. Grog is not that bad either - but I'd mix a Painkiller instead - 4 parts PJ, 1 part OJ, 1 part Coco Lopez and X ounces of of Pussers with fresh nutmeg on top, per drink. X is normally 4 on my boat (and after it's tied up).

Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

brackish

I just removed all my plumbing while in the process of installing a 12V pump as a combination pressure tap at the sink and a washdown/deck shower hose bib.  Just got finished today.  When  I took off the supply line it did look kind of clouded up.  But what I think is in there is calcium carbonate or other minerals that have precipitated out of the water as it sits for long periods particularly in the heat.  Nothing smelled bad, like mold, mildew or algae.  With the exception of the tank, I have all new plumbing.

This winter I may pump it dry and then put a pint of cheap vodka in there in case I missed any crevices that can't be drained.  Double duty as anti freeze and disinfectant.  When i refill if I can't get all the vodka out, no problem diluted enough to not be an issue.

When I cruise, I usually take a couple of gallons of drinking water, and don't drink what is in the tank.  However, in a pinch I wouldn't be afraid of it.  Currently looking for an insulated cooler with a spigot that will fit in the area between the cabin bulkhead cutout area and the outside cabin trunk area.  Going to build a platform there to secure the tank.

Compac, who does a great job in most areas of the boat build did a lousy job on the plumbing.  My sink supply had different size hose barbs in the system and instead of using reducers they just forced the hose over barbs that were too large or puttied up barbs that were too small.  The barb on the sink pump was broken off from being forced and they puttied it up.  It's all gone now and everything matches.  If you saw the condition of the sink drain line (the same type hose used for your bilge pump) after 6 years, you would probably be hot to replace it with some better stuff.  Lots of cracks and a split.  Of course this is one of the lines that has to move with the sliding sink.  I don't think it stands up to temperature cycles too well.