a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP16/3 Fuel Tank

Started by Tim F, May 24, 2010, 11:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim F

We had our first outing this weekend on the new (to us) CP 16/3. We had a great time even though winds were very light. Several questions occurred to me that I will ask in separate posts over the next few days.

What was the standard fuel tank supplied with a 1988 CP 16? The one I have is 12 gallons which seems huge. I'm guessing that one of the POs put it in. It is so large that the teak seat had to be moved up a few inches higher than the cockpit seat level. I think I'd like to install the proper tank and move the seat back to its original position. Any ideas where I can get one?

Also, my transom has three through-hulls. The bottom two are cockpit scuppers and I'm assuming the top one is for fuel line routing. Since it has a rubber flapper on it like the drains I'm not sure. Am I correct about the upper hole? Any good reasons not to use this for the fuel line? I routed the fuel line over the transom this last weekend but found out it interferes with the port mainsheet block if you're not careful how the fuel line is arranged.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-Tim

Salty19

Hi Tim,

Com-pac didn't supply fuel tanks on these boats; they are supplied with outboard motors of a certain size or larger.  So that 12 gallon is definitely prior owner installed.  If your outboard has an external fuel line connector, get a tank that fits it.  If not, any decent tank that will fit to manually refill the outboard should work.  No comments on what type of gas tank is best (ie steel, plastic, fiberglass).

As for the thru hulls, I can't be certain but you are likely correct about the third being a fuel line routing hole.  My CP16/I had no such thru hull or gas tank storage area (instead the older models have a hatch into a lazerette), but the 19 does have the 3rd thru hull for gas, and a 4th for the bilge pump.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tim F

Ok. Let me ask the question this way. Can any of you other CP16 owner recommend a fuel tank that sits well in the space designated for that purpose in the 16/3 models. The 12 gallon tank I have is too big.

Thanks.

-Tim

cdaxj

I bought a 3 gallon one for mine and it seems to fit and work great.  I need to cut a little groove out of the trunk hole for the fuel line, but theres plenty of room for that and my stern anchor.  I got it at West Marine, and with the new brass fitting for the fuel line I think I was out $30.

GlennB724

I guess ya' gotta' go with what works.  It all depends on how much you use your engine.  I have a little 2.5 hp Tohatsu with an internal tank, (about a quart).  The engine runs for about an hour at full throttle on that quart.  It takes me about 10 mins to get out of my slip and out onto the lake.  Doing the math, I don't use much fuel.  LOL  I just keep a little one gallon tank there, but I'm sure a three gallon would fit fine.  Try to look for one of the designs that are lower and flatter, rather than the types that are more vertical.  I just bought a new one at Wal Mart of all places, and it has a nifty thumb trigger sealing device which makes refueling the internal tank very easy with little or no spillage.

Tim F

I found this one at Defender.com and it fits perfectly and seems very sturdy. This allowed me to move the transom seat back down to its original position on level with the cockpit seats. The only caveat is that it has a built in Evinrude fuel connector so I had to replace my tank-end connector with the proper mating female connector. That actually worked to my advantage since now it is impossible to put the fuel line on backwards. (I discovered the hard way that the motor doesn't run too well with a reversed fuel line ;-))

<<http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|302335|7364|939804&id=54508>>

The fuel line that came with the boat is 3/8 ID. It is a little too short and I'm considering replacing it with a 1/4 ID line to make routing the fuel line a little easier (smaller bend radius with smaller fuel line). I assume a 4hp 4 stroke motor would be adequately fed by a 1/4 inch line.

kickingbug1

i have to say that im not a fan of putting a gas can in the lazerette. i use a 3 hp outboard with its own tank. if i need more gas than that holds, (almost never), i put a 1 gallon plastic gas can on the stern ladder secured with bungee cords. no gas fumes ever get in the cabin.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

kicknbug, the newer versions of CP16's do not have the same in-cabin lazerette locker that the older ones have.  Instead they are simply covers over an atmosphere-vented area for a fuel can.; No risk of fumes getting in the cabin and no access to the interior.  Same as CP19/23's.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"