a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

BOWSPIRIT FORESTAY

Started by nies, August 22, 2010, 01:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nies

i can not stop messing with my boat...........I have added a bowspirit to my 1978 CP 16 a long time ago.........had this idea of adding another forestay to the bowspirit , the connection is 13 inches forward of the current forestay and would be about 3 three feet above point where all three stays are now attached to the mast.......idea being I could fly the genoa and jib are the same time.............asked Gerry at Hutchins for advice and have not heard yet his opinion and thought I would ask my fellow sailors your opinion...............just crazy or have to much time on my hands?.................Phil

Billy

I think Gerry would say the boat was built the way it was designed. I also think Clarke Mills knew what worked best. I say, I think you are messing w/ perfection.  but if you wanted to put the forestays closer together and that way you could have a Jib and Genny on furlings you could change them when the wind picks up without having to go forward or rolling in your Genny and deforning the shape of the sail. I love lots of sails, but the boat was designed to only be sailed with 2 sails.

Just my 2 cents (which is about all it's worth).
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Well, Phil you might be crazy with too much time on your hands but I like the idea. Nothing wrong with a little experimentation. There was, some time ago, some discussion here at the site about turning a 23 into a cutter rig. Same kind of thinking you are experiencing right now.
   Recently I was thinking about how my 23 would react to a much longer bowsprit than the factory on. As you know, the 23's suffer from a bit 'o weather helm and this would certainly help in that regard. My plan would be to use the original forestay from the top of the mast and add a second forestay about 3/4 of the way down to the present location on the deck.
   Let us know how it works out for you if you do it. Glad to hear back from you...it's been a while...how has the summer sailing season been?
Bob23

nies

Bob, great summer of sailing on lake and hope the fall is mild as it really extends the season for us at the north pole..............try to check site daily to see whats happening..................let you know how it turns out, the mast hound should be here tomorrow and then get a exact measurement for the stay, just have to find a young/strong buck to hold ladder......Phil

nies

Well Gerry answered......."Phil-the problem with your idea is that the point 3' highter on the mast is unsupported. There would be nothing to keep the mast from bending and perhaps breaking from the tension of the new stay.".........never mind I will try and find another hair brained idea.........isn't it great that a company you bought a boat from 32 years ago cares enough to answer questions and help out when asked.....................Phil

Billy

Gerry is awesome! Great boats...great people!!! I told him that one time and his reply was...."well that and $.25 will get me a cup of coffee! But yes I agree. I have a 1983 19 and while he is building a BRAND new 27 he doesn't mind to take the time to help me out with a $20 part.

Lucky for me I only live 20 minutes from the factory! Too bad for Gerry though!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Craig Weis

Kicking out the head sail with yet another fore sail tack...hummm...might as well just fly a spinnaker.

skip.

GlennB724

Ditto what Skip said.  Forget the stay... you don't need it, and like Gerry said, problems with countering the forward force.  BUT, for light air you can add a light weight halyard to the mast top and fly a spinnaker, (assymetrical would be best), or a lightweight drifter which is good for all points of sail.  I don't think flying a Genny at the same time would work too well, but you can give it a try.