a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Is my rigging correct?

Started by Frantic, July 12, 2010, 02:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frantic

Ok, so as I have said before the only other boat I've ever sailed is my snark. I got my CP16 with the riggining all undone and the boom was missing the pulley.

I got ahold of a couple free harken pulleys and this is how I rigged it:

It seems to work ok but I can't help but feel like I did this wrong. Help me out here if you can. Thanks in advance! :)

jpfx

no (well anything that works is okay).
You need a double block on the boom.
Tie the sheet (rope) to the padeye next to the block on the left side.
Run it up through the block, down and around the single block on the right side.
Then  back up to the other sheave on the boom.
Finally, through the cleat on the left and lock off through the cam.

Craig Weis

Sorry. No it's not. Use the 'four purchase' ability that is shown in the picture. The inline block like you have is correct and won't twist up like the side by side from the factory.

I think I have a picture of the way it goes in skip's CP-19 portion and pictured posts. No time to look~see right now.

skip.

Billy

Close!
don't use the cleat to the left (port). That is to tie to a dock.

take the end of the sheet, and tie a stopper knot at the end. Run it through the fairlead to the right (starboard) of the cam cleat. (currently this is not being used in the pic)

Then up b/w the two sheaves of the block at the end of the boom

down through the block on the starboard side of the stern

back up through the top sheave of the block on the boom

down through the pad eye and into the cam cleat.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Billy

you could also use a bowline at the end of the sheet to tie it to the fairlead (instead of a stopper knot).

Frantic

Thanks for the replies. I just have it tied to the cleet so the boom wont swing around. I think I get the idea. A pic would be super helpful when you can skip. Thanks again!

Billy

jpfx

same thing as billy's pretty much. Boom was being held high by a topping lift while I did relatively little. I don't think a higher ratio rig is much use on a CP16, though a rig that uses a central cleat would be safer.

Frantic

Great! Thanks a million fellas :)

Craig Weis

Those side by side blocks have a tendency to twist around. That's why I switched to in line.

skip.