Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

dodger

Started by dawntreader, January 25, 2010, 12:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawntreader

Ahoy,

anyone out there know of a source for an affordable dodger for a C-23?  Local custom canvas shops are quite expensive.

dawntreader

newt

I will be watching these postings too. The problem is to avoid the boom, yet be high enough to offer protection for the cockpit. Anyone have any ideas?

dawntreader

newt,

In my case, I have both boom height and boom vang to consider.  My thoughts were that having a dodger would give standing headroom at the galley, especially if I modify the sliding hatch cover.  Sail rite has kits beginning at 700, but I'm not sure I have the patience (or free time) to go that route.

mike

Craig Weis

My sailing buddy had a dodge made. Problem is this skipper wanted it so high for his wife to move under it comfortably that the main sail had to be re-cut higher.
Something I'd never do. Looks funny.
My other buddy has a dodger, it fits good. Both boats are C-P 19's.
Geeeee, Boats are so tiny that any of this paraphernalia is non sense.

skip.

kchunk

I don't have a dodger, but I do have a bimini. I hate the bimini and use it only on the hottest florida days. Back in July I was in the Keys with the family and we spent 4 days and three night aboard. The bimini was absolutely necessary! At anchor we used clothes pins to pin up towels to the frame of the bimini to act as sun shades, especially as the sun was getting low.

Here are my kids. We're anchored in about 6' off of Butternut Key.

But the bimini is alway in the way. I can only imaging that a dodger would be worse...

--Greg

Bob23

Koinonia came with a mini dodger that I didn't install until last fall. It looks great on the boat; is very in scale and gives a great "cruiser" look. It does offer some protection during the high winds we tend to get around here in the fall. Being such a small dodger, it does not interfere with the boom vang or the mast height. Me, being of small stature, have instant standing headroom, sort of.
Bob23- I used to like the Dodgers, but now I'm a Mets fan!

brackish

Greg, I pretty much agree on the bimini.  I have one, has not been installed since I bought the boat, however haven't had any really hot weather yet.  Will this summer.

In hot tropical conditions, I give up the main and install a full cockpit awning.  High enough over the cockpit to give standing headroom, supported by a haylard, with side stays that clip on the rail and a slit for the backstay.  PVC tubes give the cross support.  I'll make one for the C23 that is similar to this one I had for my last boat.

Dodger really not an issue for deep south sailors.

newt

As long as we are going micro-cruiser...what about putting a small radar arch on the back and attaching a bimini (and dingy) and solar panels to the rear? Has anyone done this?

kchunk

Holy cow! She'll tip over!  :D

Craig Weis

Tip over? Heck sailor she'll be down by the bowls.
Bow high like bow WOW!!

kahpho

Would make a pretty humorous cartoon though... just picture the visual, HA.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

dawntreader

a c-27 in this area does have a radar arch, doesn't look bad.  Can't imagine it on a 23. 

For Dawntreader I have an arched "bimini" made of sunbrella & PVC which works well,
and can be put up or taken down in just a couple of minutes. 

My interest in a dodger is not only to get some protection for sailing in marginal conditions
(in NC we get a lot of good days in the winter) but also to get "standing headroom"

(I was a Dodger's fan until the last baseball strike, when I swore off the game altogether)

mike

zimco

THE JULY/AUGUST ISSUE OF SMALL CRAFT ADVISOR HAS AN ARTICLE ON THE DODGER I PUT ON MY MONTGOMERY 17.
IT IS A LITTLE LESS EXPENSIVE THEN THE USUAL APPROACH.  IT LOOKS GOOD, WORKS GREAT.
I HOPE TO MOVE IT MY NEW (1984) CP23.

lon