a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Stay/Shroud Tension

Started by Tim F, August 05, 2010, 08:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim F

I know that the tension of the forestay and shrouds effect the rake of the mast and the sailing performance. What I'm curious about is has anyone ever damaged their CP by improper rigging of the stay or shrouds? Can you hurt the boat if they are too tight?

Thanks.

-Tim

CaptRon28

Quote from: Tim F on August 05, 2010, 08:26:53 AM
What I'm curious about is has anyone ever damaged their CP by improper rigging of the stay or shrouds? Can you hurt the boat if they are too tight?

Thanks.

-Tim

I don't have a CP 16, but the general answer to your question is YES. For a cruising boat I would not want to go above about 18 percent of the wires breaking strength while not under load (sailing). You need the reserve to handle the MUCH greater loads with the sails up and sailing, especially in heavier winds. Racers can usually get away with more because they will adjust the tension on the fly (especially the back stay).

You can buy or borrow gauges that will measure the actual tension on the standing rigging, and which will convert to percentages based on wire size.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Billy

You can push the mast down through the deck and the compression post down through the hull. the stays don't stretch so as soon as the slack is out they shold be tight enough. When under sail you should have a little slack on the leeward side. if not, they are too tight.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

newt

I set the tension on a Valiant and my CP-23. I would look at 5-10% tension of total breaking strength on your stays. I use a Loows guage....

CaptRon28

The final tuning should be done in 10 to 15 knots of wind on both tacks. A beam reach works well. Windward side should be very taught, leeward just starting to get a little slack. If it's flapping in the wind it's definitely too loose. I think 10 percent of breaking strength is a good starting point for most of the wires on most boats. Adjust during or after the test sail. Write down the numbers so you have a better starting point next year. This should be done periodically, especially on a new boat or an older one with new standing rigging.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Craig Weis

Windward side tight. Lee side loose.
Let the mast slop back and forth a bit with the windload.
skip.

newt

I keep the shrouds tight enough that there is very little slop. But then again, I am redoing the rigging after only 13 years :)