a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Heavily Modded CP23

Started by CaptK, November 15, 2004, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptK

I spoke with John @ Traditional Y.S. today about this boat, a CP23 that he gutted and then modified heavily with an eye towards offshore sailing. In a couple of weeks, he's going to send me a write up and some more photos about this project he did. Should be neat, as you can see from the pic below he made a *major* renovation! :D

Link: http://tinyurl.com/4vc9e

My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

dreamchaser

I checked out the link, the forward galley is what I'm adding to LAGNIAPPE this winter, between sailing days, right now we are having a monsoon, 5" today and it has started again tonight. So I'm working inside the boat, Slow but sure, plenty to do. One thing I did notice that nothing was done to the modified boat to reduce the size of the cockpit. For serious off shore sailing, a breaking wave orer the stern woulod put a lot water & weight in the cockpit.
The forward galley gives crediance to the old saying, Drink 6, Eat 4. and sleep 2. makes sense to me.

Don Perry
Dreamchaser

CaptK

Hi Don -

I go back and forth on what to do - go all out like John did with this boat, or something a little less extreme so that if/when I sell the boat, it'll have a broader market.

I'm leaning towards going extreme. :) This galley forward setup has a lot of advantages (one big one - what a great place to drop a wet sail into from the hatch - no fabric or foam!), and since I can count on one hand the number of sleep-over guests I've had aboard in 2.5 years, it may just be the way to go.

I have one of those big Igloo coolers, it fills 2/3 of the cockpit footwell pretty nicely. That, with some tie-downs, would help a lot with fending off a boarding wave. Extra storage, too. Ideally, I'd like to move my diesel tank elsewhere than so far aft in the cockpit. If I could do that, I'd build a big locker in the aft part...
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

zimco

HI,

I REALIZE THIS IS AN OLD POST, BUT THE FORWARD GALLEY IS WHAT I HAVE IN MIND FOR PRUDENCE, #333.

I TRIED  THE LINK THAT WAS GIVEN, BUT IT NO LONGER WORKS.   ARE THERE ANY OTHER PHOTOS OR DIAGRAMS OF HOW
THE FORWARD GALLEY WAS DON?

HAS IT BEEN SUCCESSFUL?  ANYTHING HE MIGHT DO DIFFERENTLY NOW?

ANOTHER MODIFICATION IS THE COMPANIONWAY STEP ON THE NEWEST CP23 IV.  IT LOOKS MUCH MORE FUNCTIONAL. 

ANYONE ABLE TO POST SOME PHOTOS OF THE NEW STEP?  PUT ONE ON THE DOCK AND PHOTOS FROM SEVERAL POINT OF  VIEW.

THANK

lon
PRUDENCE

brackish

Quote from: zimco on August 24, 2010, 06:04:58 AM
HI,

I REALIZE THIS IS AN OLD POST, BUT THE FORWARD GALLEY IS WHAT I HAVE IN MIND FOR PRUDENCE, #333.

I TRIED  THE LINK THAT WAS GIVEN, BUT IT NO LONGER WORKS.   ARE THERE ANY OTHER PHOTOS OR DIAGRAMS OF HOW
THE FORWARD GALLEY WAS DON?

HAS IT BEEN SUCCESSFUL?  ANYTHING HE MIGHT DO DIFFERENTLY NOW?

ANOTHER MODIFICATION IS THE COMPANIONWAY STEP ON THE NEWEST CP23 IV.  IT LOOKS MUCH MORE FUNCTIONAL. 

ANYONE ABLE TO POST SOME PHOTOS OF THE NEW STEP?  PUT ONE ON THE DOCK AND PHOTOS FROM SEVERAL POINT OF  VIEW.

THANK

lon
PRUDENCE

Not sure what you are looking for, but I can take some pictures.  The step is a single hinged step with a pullout bulkhead in front.  The design change was primarily to make a large area for the electrical panel and the mounting of additional electronics and make them easy to get to for wiring.  It accomplished that.  The down side is that the area under the step is for a storage box/table aft (useless, too much trouble to get to it) and an ice chest forward.  Unfortunately, the design change shortened the height in the area and that limitation results in very few ice chests of any reasonable size that will fit in the area.  I finally ended up buying a Yeti Sherpa 50, rather expensive, because it was the only multiple day chest of any capacity that would fit the area.

One on the dock?