Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Long Distance Cruises

Started by mkeenan, September 09, 2008, 12:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potcake boy

Newt,
I agree with your conclusion, it was likely the hull/deck joint leaking. The protrusion style joint is perferated at the chainplates and allows passage of water through the joint. I removed the chainplates on my 19 and cleaned the failed silicone mess and rebedded with generous amount of 5200 after reinstalling chainplates. Had to stuff backing on inside of hull to prevent flow of 5200 as the opening was sizeable. Leak is no more. Please remember that anything you may wish to remove in the future like your ports will be very difficult if bedded with 5200.

The only concern I have with your plan to cruise the seven seas in a 16 footer is that your balls may be too big to fit in that little boat. I just completed a short cruise of the area in my 19 and one of the days was spent in the Gulf of Mexico between Charlotte Harbor (on the South West Coast of Florida) to Fort Myers Beach, a trip of about 40 or so miles. There were 6-7 foot waves left over from a passing front the night before. I never felt in danger because  I stayed out beyond any breakers, but sure got tossed around pretty good. It made for a long and tiring day. I wouldn't want to think of being caught at sea in a gale in this small a boat. Sure many folks have lived to tell the tale, but there are probably just as many untold tales of those who didn't. If you've read Gypsy Moth, think of the occasion that the vessel was broached on the crest of a large breaker and only luck prevented her from being dropped over the crest to a certain disaster. Could have been a book never written.

Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Potcake boy

Newt,
A quick follow up to my last post: If you are going to be cruising with no itinerary, of course you can pick favorable weather - but are you prepared to live the absolute minimalist lifestyle for those cruise periods?
Here is a pic taken while in the Gulf - do have to admit it's times like these that attachment to shore side things doesn't seem very relevant.
Oops - I guess we can't do pics here yet - if I can find your email here I will use that to forward the pic.
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

kchunk

You better send me a copy of that picture too.

Ron, you had the Idafoil rudder too right? My wife and I were out a few weeks ago in conditions we probably should've turned back...bent the rudder! Didn't know it till we were back at the dock. That was NOT a fun day...and to think I took a vacation day from work for that. Ever hear "A bad day of sailing is better than a good day at work"? Yeah, I think that's supposed to go "a bad day of fishing..."

I should have gone to work that day!

newt

Hey guys- lets get one thing straight- I'm no hero! I wished I wasn't there when the microburst came through, but we just had to handle it anyway.  On the gulf I am usually chartering... and I am very aware of the "flip formula"  that says when breaking swell's height is half your lenght you have a good chance of capsizing. I know and practice with anchors, sea anchors, drogues, etc. My Compac (which is a 23) does not go out of port with winds above 20 knots and storms moving in. BUT...and this is a big BUT...I do get caught out there sometimes, so I feel it necessary to have my boat watertight, have harnesses and attachment points, and generally be as safe as I possibly can.
The minimalist lifestyle I have talking a while about on these threads. It works great for me when I am alone. I enjoy my time spent that way, but when I bring the admiral on there is a whole different set of issues. Consequently I go out about half my time with family, and about half of it with myself. I am looking into cruising the great circle with just me and my Compac. I wold be very happy to see your pic Potcake. It sounds like you had quite an adventure.
If you want a true hero in a small boat, go to Sailfar and look at Amgine- he is crossing the Pacific to Hawaii in a 25 ft boat.  (Pacific swells btw, make the gulf swells look pretty tame)
I think of myself as pretty wimpy, I just manage to get out of the trouble I fall into...:)

frank

As previously posted, Tinkerbelle was a great read. Here is a link to "Shrimpy"...a caprice 18fter that Shane Acton sailed around the world. Seems to be a free download and a great read !  http://members.lycos.co.uk/marybonney/
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men