a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchor Windlass

Started by kobo, March 19, 2010, 08:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kobo

Has anyone ever installed an electric anchor windlass on a Horizon Cat?

Craig Weis

If sailing solo an electric winch on the anchor rode would be great, I'd run the deck mounted foot pedals [up-down] on the cockpit sole so engine and steering controls can be accessed. Problem is winching the anchor past the stop point since you'll not be able to see. So dual foot pedals one set fwd and one set on the sole.

Depends on where your sailing. In a tide the extra 'arm power' to pull the boat up tide could be a must.
In my area on lakes with no tide or very little current then I'd just walk fwd with engine in 'N" and pull up the rode, pull the chain on board place the anchor on deck and back away. Once at sea, then I'd have to go fwd again and square that area away then go sailing.

skip.

sun17cat

I would think an electric windless would be overkill on a Horizon Cat. They use a considerable amount of energy and even with a large battery bank it is mandatory that you run the engine when using the windless (the ones  that I have had would not even engage unless the engine was running). If you are concerned about the weight of the anchor and rode you could look at a manual windless, much less expensive and easier to install. I had one installed on a Sea Pearl 28 that was a combination of rope and chain. This was a very good solution and made the anchor work painless.

Jim

Greysailor

Howdy,

I bought the HC pictured on the Autopilot message string, and it has an anchor windlass installed.  Yep, probably overkill for a small boat/anchor.  The previous owner had it on a deep lake where anchoring depth was around 30'-40', so I assume he didn't like pulling the 25lb plow up that far by hand.  The windlass control is at the helm, so this also keeps one off of the small deck in rough conditions.    It will probably not get much use here in the shallow waters of the Texas coast.  I carried a 60lb plow on my last boat, and the windlass was a lifesaver.

newt

What is the displacement on a HC? It just seems like a 25 lb plow with chain rode might be a bit much.  I use a 50lb plow on a 40 ft Valiant (25k displacement) It uses a electric windlass.
You might look at smaller manual windlasses- you get all of your power without the electrical problems. I saw a number of them for sale at used marine shops.