a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse Projects?

Started by Glenn Basore, January 12, 2011, 12:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napier6

Glenn you might be able to use a fishing weight on a feeder line this summer. That is what I was planning to do.  Just hold your breath!  I felt like I needed to look under the keel.  That is the real reason I hauled her out in the yard.  I was going to jack up one side and then the other to paint, but once in five years in the yard isn't too bad.  I think of all the larger boats that must spend lots more time than that for annual inspections etc.

On the halyard I like the 3/8" size but mine is in dire need of a laundry visit (in spite of the Good Old Boat article against washing).  My next involved project will be replacing the Spinlock cleats with Schaefer SS cam cleats.  I'll post when I finally get to it.

My boom does not have the striking problem at all unless I am not fully at the masthead.  Sail stretch might be a cause if it hits a little bit, but sounds unlikely.  I used some white lithium grease to help me get the sail up all the way.  The sail slides were getting hard to pull (dirty).  Try cleating the halyard and have a friend go to the mast and haul on the exposed line as you pull at the cleat.  That should tell you if your'e not all the way up.  Also, you can check the stay tension, and the tension on the CDI roller (shouldn't be too loose).      
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"

Glenn Basore

I don't think I could hold my breath that long !

As to the stays, they seem snug and not loose at all. Ive tried pulling on the exposed halyard line but I must admit, I don't have much strength any more.

I used dry lube when I go to raise the main, the slugs seem to have trouble starting but then do OK. Doesn't the white grease get pretty dirty and collect more dirt?

What is CDI ?

Thanks for all your advise.

Glenn

Napier6

I held my breath and scrubbed a lot of slime off the bottom in a cove in about 6ft. of water last summer.  It is only about halfway effective.  I must say, it got tough there towards the end.  I used to be able to stay under much longer, also the dog got worried.

On the halyard, have you tried looking at the top of the mast with binoculars, that is a very low tech diagnostic I have used in the past.  And come to think of it, I did have the boom strike the arch a while back.  I had the boom vang very tight and as I tacked it hit.  I loosened and it self corrected.

I have liked the white lithium grease and have not had a grime problem with it.  I have a spray can and don't put a lot on.  Just a small amount will do.  In a "Good Old Boat" article one gentleman did recommend never waxing (or spraying white lithium grease - I guess) if you ever wanted to paint your boat: have done both.  I think when the time comes to paint, in five years or so I hope, I'll use lots of acetone wipe downs.

As to CDI, sorry jargon, it is the CDI roller furling system on the 115% Eclipse Genoa (www.sailcdi.com).  I think it's still standard Eclipse equipment.
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"

skip1930

The sail won't streach that much without ripping.
Something else moved. Is it up all the way?

Unhook the sail from the halyard.
Tie a line to the halyard. Use a good knot. If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot.
Pull the halyard to the top-o-mast.
Mark the halyard in the rope clutch.
Pull the halyard back down. Remove the line.
Attach the sail.
Pull the sail back up.
Still on the mark?

skip.

Glenn Basore

OK guys,

I understand CDI now, thanks..........I will try marking the Halyard and see if it does match the mark.

Thanks, Glenn

gradycampbell

A number of comments...

I had a Tohatsu 9.8 that was stolen, then replaced with a Tohatsu 6 that is light enough for me to take off and keep at home when the boat is parked at the storage lot (They call themselves Florida Secure Self-Storage, though I have been calling it something slightly different that you can likely guess). Comparing the two, I don't really notice the difference in weight during boating though theoretically another almost 30 pounds hanging that far off the back end ought to make a difference. What I really miss was the much smoother quieter two-cylinder 9.8. The one-cylinder 6 is quite annoying by comparison. So I envy you that.

The under v-berth storage is where I keep my spinnaker, though as you can imagine it doesn't add much ballast. I weighed it once, but have no recollection of the figure. Seems like it was ~8 pounds. I like the clean look of your transducers; nice installation job. I put mine under the sink so I can store an extra anchor of a different type under the spinnaker without worry of it bumping my depth sounder. So all that is under the sink is paper towels and soda can holder/insulators.

If you've not already, be certain to let the boom vang/mast raiser and downhaul run really free while raising the main. I was having the same trouble, and the boom vang turned out to be the trouble even though it hadn't looked like it. Since it drags down the middle of the boom, it can really make the boom angle down at the back compounding the problem of hitting in the back. I also find I have to really give the halyard some pull as the sail approaches its top; I start pulling a lot harder there at the end. I also find I have to have the downhaul loose, then tighten it last. By leaving it at the "right" point every time, it adds resistance as the sail tightens up against it. Much easier to have the sail go up all the way with downhaul loose, then pull the sail down tight. Anyway, it was a problem for me, too.

My new halyard is 5/16" and 60 feet. I am happy with the length; there isn't so much left in the cockpit, and the shackle reaches the water in case something or somebody needs hauling aboard. I was happy with the original diameter, so didn't change it. I think that Spinlock will take larger, but not smaller diameter line. I used Crystalyne, which was admittedly expensive, but you could pick up two Eclipses with it so no need at all to go larger thickwise. As a matter of fact, I used 1/4" for my spinnaker/spare halyard, then swapped Spinlocks with my downhaul for the aforementioned reason (leftmost Spinlock is smaller on my boat, maybe not everybody's).