a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

First sail on "Soulshine" and a question about boom height

Started by chrisolavitch, May 31, 2010, 09:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisolavitch

Well the winds finally calmed down enough to take out my new boat (1976).  I sailed on just the main as some had suggested.  My only other sailing experience has been on our Hunter 235.  We sailed it about 10 times and were never comfortable.  We bought this boat to learn on because we found the Hunter too large for beginners like us.  I was able to "single hand" her today-something I would have NEVER considered doing before.  The boat is going to be a great learning platform.  In fact it may be so much fun we sell the Hunter. 

My one initial question is boom height.  Sitting at the rear of the cockpit-the boom will hit my head.  Is this normal?  I adjusted the toping lift (?) but it still seems low.  I'm only 5-8" so I'm not tall. 

Thanks for this forum.  It has been a wealth of information.  I'm ashamed how many hours my "total time logged in" shows!

Greene

Congratulations on the first sail.   We sailed an 84 CP16 and the only time headroom was an issue was when the sail was down and the we were motoring.  Once the sail filled with wind it always seemed high enough for clearance.  I am 6' 2" and the boom height was never an issue.  When we motored (sail down) we used the topping lift to raise the boom an additional foot or so higher.  Make sure you raise the mainsail fully to the top of the mast and then push down on the boom to tension the sail before tying it off.  This will ensure the boom is as high as possible.  If you are cleating off the boom before tightening the main halyard you might not be getting it all the way to the top.  Otherwise you may just have a really old stretched out mainsail.

Don't know if this helps, but it is a starting point.

Good winds,

Mike and Brenda
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

newt

I'll second what Mike says. If the boom is too low with the main down you need to adjust the topping lift. If you get hit with the main up- Well are you sure the main is cut for your boat? The boom should not hit you if you are sitting- on my 23 it will hit you if you are standing up, but not by much.  An oversized main, or main that is not all the way up would cause this problem.

kickingbug1

seems to me that your main may be cut wrong. when i first bought my 16 it seemed that the boom was a little low but since im 6'5" im kind of used to ducking. after i sailed with a friend on his 16 i suspected that my sail might be blown out a bit. i bought a new tasker sail and what a difference. i dont even have to duck the boom when coming about. might be such a thing as having the main recut.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

chrisolavitch

I'll check next weekend to see if the main was up all the way to the top.  That make sense.  Thanks for all of the advice.  I feel much better.  I'm hard headed-but not THAT hard headed.  I guess I could try sailing with my motorcycle helmet!!!!!!!

Salty19

Hutchins is now selling helmets for those with blown out mainsails.  :)

The topping lift should be loose when actually sailing and tight when docking, motoring, etc.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Salty19

Actually the shield is to protect against Admiral offensive maneuvers when heeled past 20 degrees or if said boom contacts the admirals noggin.   But come to think of it, it would do double duty for salt spray as well.   

chrisolavitch

You guys are awesome!  Love the humor!  Glad i could be the joke of the site.  Thanks again for all your advice.  But the helmet needs to be white!  Gotta at least look good on the lake.  Image is everything.

Bob23

Little known fact:
  An upside down helmet makes a great Margarita pitcher. The sweat does double duty as salt.
But seriously, one only gets clunked in the head with the boom so many times before one remembers to duck!
Bob23

Craig Weis

Sorry but I can't ascertain what model Com-Pac were talking about here from the first post of this thread this morning before I had to go cut grass at the aeroport in the pouring rain.
This applies to all boats. [Thanx Salty19 for the CP-16]

1~Get that main sail as high up on the mast as possible. Use a winch on the halyard if necessary.
2~Use the downhaul to lower the gooseneck on the boom. Tie it off. It is what it is vertically speaking.
3~The sail sets the boom height. Head 'O sail to tac at the mast and the clew [you have no clue as to where it's going] to head is the angle of the dangle...is equal to the mass of the ass. Some small some big. Everyone picks.
4~If you be too talk forget what your mother told you about posture, slouch and duck! Something is amiss. That's why it's called the 'First Sail' to iron out the details. Sail with that mast straight up.

One of my relatives when I was a little kid was knocked unconscious by the boom at South Shore Yacht Club, Milwaukee and shortly thereafter assumed room temperature. I don't remember who he was.

There was some rumblings in California about requiring sailors to where helmets...in which case I'll be in violation.
More liberalism at it's finest!! It's not possible to legislate morality or common sense.

skip.

romei

I'd take a look at the mast rake as well.  If your mast is leaning back a little that might lower the rear of the boom a bit.

That's prolly not it but it was just a thought.
Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

nies

Get the sail to the very top mast, pull down on downhall to tighten and there should be about 14 inch's between bottom of boom and cabin top, which leaves plenty of headroom. The sail may not be standard main sail for the 16. I am 6'2" and never had a problem.........must be some item of info we not getting........go to Compac web site and watch video's and you will see plenty of head room on the boats.......Phil

Salty19

Quote from: skip on June 04, 2010, 07:06:49 AM
1~Get that main sail as high up on the mast as possible. Use a winch on the halyard if necessary.
2~The sail sets the boom height.
3~Duck!

skip.

Skip, CP16's do not have any winches installed.  They are not needed on that boat.

seatime

I agree with mike and brenda..and don't raise the gooseneck...ya can't harden sail if you put a belly in her...I believe your sail has stretched or is a different sail altogether...these things show up on older boats...look up the specs for the mailsail and measure yours to see what ya  got...

If it is a good main have a sailmaker cut 'er down to size.

Tight sheets to ya...