Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compac 19 wanted in New Jersey

Started by jaimekop, April 22, 2010, 11:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaimekop

Hello there,

After some careful thought, I'm now actively searching for a Com-pac 19.  Yesterday, I had the opportunity to compare a 16 and 19 side by side, and the difference in size was quite significant.  I was strongly considering a 16, mainly due to its lighter weight on a trailer.  But after seeing how much larger a 19 is, I think it will be better match to what I'd like to do with the boat.  I plan to use the boat as a trailer sailor, at least for the first season, sailing off the Jersey Shore, and in the Hudson River. 

My budget was better suited to a 16, but I stretch a bit!  A boat which needs work isn't a problem for me, but I'd rather restore the condition of an original boat and not have to make up for abuse or careless modifications.

I'm located in New Jersey, but willing to travel between Massachusetts and Maryland for the right boat.  I can be reached at jaime(at)jaimekop(dot)com

Thanks,
Jaime

newt

Welcome aboard Jaime. If anyone can find a good used boat, it is this team...

jaimekop

Thanks Captain! 

I'm quite impressed with this forum... lots of great knowledge and nice people!  I look forward to participating.

Jaime

Bob23

Hi Jaime:
   I also am priviledged to reside in the Great State of New Jersey, a Corzine-free zone! Where do you live? I'm in Manahawkin, exit 63. For you non-Jerseyans, we here in the Garden State always refer to our nearest exit on the Garden State Parkway. Don't know why, we just do! We also have the best pizza in the known universe, maybe beyond!
   If I hear of a 19, I'll let you know. There are a few of 'em around here. My friend Peter sold his last fall after he moved up to a 27.
Bob23

jaimekop

Hi Bob,

I live in Teaneck, up off of exit 161 (A high property tax zone  :-( ) .  But good pizza up here!  :-)  I grew up boating in Barnegat Bay, mostly north of Toms River.  My father still keeps his boat in Ocean Beach in Lavallette. 

I'm just a few miles form the Hudson River, so I'd like to give sailing a try there.  It would be very nice to have a boat in the water a few minutes from home.  Especially after work on long summer days!  Slip fees are surprisingly cheap, about half of what they are at the shore.  I also expect to end up at the shore a few times a year with my boat, so a good trailer would be nice.

I had contact with Peter last year when he sold the boat... I think I was a few hours late!  Nice guy... he found a few other 19s for sale at the time and emailed me.

Glad to hear there are a few NJ guys here.

Jaime

Glenn Basore

Welcome to the forum Jamie,

I had the opportunity to see and crawl around on a 16 and 19 last December comparing them to my Eclipse. I was interested in the transformation from the 19 to the Eclipse.

I think you will be very happy with the 19, What will you be towing it with ?

My Eclipse is 2200 lbs, I think another 1500 for the performance trailer.

My tow vehicle is a 1996 S-10 Blazer with a v6 and automatic transmission. It does OK towing but stopping is marginal.

I just bought a brake kit for the trailer which will help a lot. As soon as I get a break in the rain I will start on the brakes.

Bob23

Jaime:
   In the past, a few of us have attempted to put together a Rendezvous at Tice's Shoals, Island Beach State Park. Last year it never materialized but I think the year before it did. It was very loosely organized, actually not organized at all! Just a few fellow sailors who met there, ate, drank a bit, swam and just hung out. Some overnighted, some didn't.
   I've been toying with putting together a 2010 get together. If it happens, I'll post it here at the site.
Bob23

jaimekop

Hi Glenn,

I have a '95 Mercedes wagon that I'll be towing with.  Its in a quite good condition, and has self-leveling rear suspension.  I've fitted it with a factory trailer hitch (direct from Germany!) which rates the car at 2100kg -> 4630lbs.  This is quite a frightening amount, but I think it puts a 19 well within a safe range.  Trailer brakes would be on my list of modifications for the future.  And frequent transmission fluid changes.

I've been following the trailer related posts carefully, especially those related to tongue extensions and brakes.  Let us know how the brake kit install goes!

My "other" hobby is driving/collecting old Mercedes cars.  In a related note, I've always found the Com-Pac 23/3 brochure entertaining:
http://www.sailboatshop.com/pages/new_boats/compac/com-pac23-3.pdf
That early 80s S class was a great car, but I think towing a 23' might be a bit of a stretch!  I wonder who at Hutchins thought up this product placement!

Bob:  Tice's Shoal rendezvous sounds great!  Who's bringing the grill!?

Jaime

Glenn Basore

Jaime

I have a 1982 380sl (hard top convertible - 2 door) still runs good......

Bob23

We'll have a few grills on hand plus something never seen before- the  Floating Firepit! I haven't invented it yet but it exists in my head and on paper.
Bob23

jaimekop

A nice weekend like this, and nobody decided to put their 19 up for sale?  :-)

Still looking....

jeecanaicker

Hi,

I live in Princeton NJ and I have a 1990 CP 19 II for sale. Very good condition, a 8 hp motor that's a few years old but never used and a galvanised trailer. The boat is at Lake Wallenpaupack. $6000 firm. I also have a 1986 Compac  16 for sale. This boat was refurbished by the Compac factory, new sails, new cushions, new paint, new everything. On a new trailer. $3500 firm.

I've been sailing Compacs for quite a while and know the value of these fantastic boats. You will not be disappointed with either of these boats. I'm willing to negotiate on price but ever so slightly. Buy both, I'll do a deal and you'll be set for life !!!

I'm not going to be online often - phone if need be.

Phone 609 651 9041