a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom tent or other options

Started by Don, December 24, 2004, 11:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don

I use my CP16 for camping and cruising on inland lakes.  One thing that I would like to do is construct a shelter for the cockpit.  A boom tent is a simple solution, but I am interested in something that is a little more secure.  Something with 4 poles, one at each corner.  I would like for it to be screened in, and either have a rain fly, or even better, a lining that can be zipped in.  I suppose buying a tent is an option, but I would like to have it be a part of the boat.  Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?  Has anyone on the list done this kind of thing?  Thanks.
Don

Bruce Woods

I was going to emulate it for my Sun Cat, but found we had sold the dang thing in a yard sale.

Anyway, you take one of those gazebos that is really a screened in thing with a tarp roof. The one he used was rectangular, as you would imagine.

He put it across the boom, draped it around and figured out alterations from there. I like the idea, because you already have the screen attached for the sides and you have the tarp across for a rain roof. And with the ends open, you can zip it around when you set the tent; at least the stern end could zip closed.

You are on your own to figure out closing the front...hope you figure it out and tell me!

Bruce

Don

That is a good Idea.  Thanks, Bruce.  

I have thought about sewing a lightweight chain in a seam around the bottom of the screen, and then you can lay it wherever you want.  It can drape over the edge of the gunwales, and around the hatch.  The screen would have to be oversized...at least at the bottom.  If I found a Camping Gazebo that was tall enough, I could shorten the legs by about a foot, and that may give the extra screen I need to overlap the edge of the cockpit.  

I suppose I am just thinking out loud.(?)  I will do more research, and let you know what I come up with.  Any other suggestions from anyone are very welcome.  

Don

CaptK

For something that might be a little more weather resistant, look at a freestanding backpacker tents. I imagine you could find one with a footprint roughly equivalent to the size and shape of a CP cockpit. They usually have 2 layers - an inner, well ventilated but bug-screened layer, and then a rainfly for when the soggy stuff falls from the sky. The fly usually can clip on or be left off, so you'd have the choice, and the tent designs are pretty wind-resistant. Once set up, the tent corners could be lashed down, and it would be the functional equivalent of staking the tent to the ground.

Just another idea. :) Check at campmor.com and sierratradingpost.com for good tent prices.

Good luck, Don!
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Don

Thanks!  The tent would work well.  I found several affordable ones that would work as far as size; the only problem was the doors were on the longer sides, not the one leading into the cabin.  

On another note, in my research I saw a "tent" that I thought would work well for a cockpit of a Sailboat.  It was just mosquito netting, and it only had one hanging point.  I have seen things like it at linins and things for a bed.  They have a 48 inch ring at the top to give a little bit of head room, and it tapers out to be about the size of a double bed.  It might be better for someone like me that is relocating to Arizona.  Lake Pleasant does not get too much rain, so as I understand it, bugs are the issue.  I am moving from Chicago, so it should be an interesting change in climate, and conditions.  Anyway, the one hanging point is perfect for attaching to a halyard, and it would provide a non-stable shelter that would protect you from bugs, but still give you a view.  Not exactly what I was talking about previously, but it might work well.  Oh, and it was cheap.  $35. or so.  Not sure which website I saw it on. Or, make one yourself for really cheap using a hoola hoop, and sheer mosquito netting, and you can customize the size for your boat.  I still like the idea of having a light weight chain in a seam around the bottom so that it would stay where you want it around the edge of the cockpit and hatch.  Just a though.  I think I will try it as another alternative to the tent, or gazebo for quiet nights looking at the stars.  Happy New Year!!!
Don

multimedia_smith

I found two items which are "just made for" the CP...

From White Tarps  whitetarp 6x8-1/w1  $7.20 6'x8'  (the actual finished size is 5'8"X7'8" which is pretty darn close to the cockpit size on our boats... for rain I have a larger 8'X8' tarp with more overhang
http://store.yahoo.com/tarpsatwholesale/whitetarps.html

and for the sides there is this rectangular shaped net:
Mosquito Bar Double
Item Number: 41107  
Fits over two cots.
5 ft. H x 6 ft. W x 7 ft. L

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=41107&memberId=12500226

check it out
8)
The plan is to make a rectangular PVC frame to hold the mosquito "box" shaped net out will make a nice screened "room" out of the cockpit area.  
For the boom tent I plan to onlyattach the sides to the PVC and the pole in the center will create a "peak".  The whisker pole hung under the boom will extend it all the way from the companionway to over the transom).
PICS to follow as it is completed this spring.

Dale

crbakdesign

I like the earlier suggestion of using a screened gazebo.  It reminded me that a number of years ago, we bought one of those picnic table gazebos with netting and its been sitting amongst the camping gear unused since the kids gave up camping for party weekends. I'm cutting up the top to fit over the cockpit and using snap fittings to connect to the hull.  I've made a boom gallow similar to the one on the CP catboats which can support the stern end of the tent overhead and mounted the forward end of the tent to the shrouds.  With Bob Burgess's suggestion of a removeable cover and cushion for the footwell, we should have a practical way of spending the nights bug-free and have shelter from the sun on sweltering afternoons.