a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

battery

Started by corinthian, April 16, 2010, 04:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Right, which is why I said:  Some controllers can accept multiple connections, so buy one for your future intended configuration.

No question  as you said the type of controller you're using depends on the overall configuration. Any 'ol unit may not cut the mustard.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

curtisv

The diagram was for solar panel only.  Most controllers don't like eithe a powerful alternator or a charger.  The larger among them can take a small wind or water towed generator.

For the solar panel there is debate about whether the leakage back through the panel makes any difference or not.  The diode gives you a 0.6V voltage drop which reduces that effective charging of the panel.  Some chargers are smart enough to open the circuit when the battery voltage is higher than the charging voltage.

For the alternator check the charge controller spec.  If the charge controller prevents back leakage then definitely leave out the diode on a solar panel.  If not, then you could go either way.  If you have more than one charge source, put a diode on each to prevent one from putting back voltage on the other.  You can toast a solar panel with an alternator.  Alternators already have diodes (a set of four called a bridge rectifier).

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

curtisv

btw- I'm assuming you have a small alternator on an outboard and not a deisel with 100+ Amp alternator.  The controllers for those beasts are different.  They cut the alternator power by reducing the alternator stator winding voltage (acutally they usually pulse the voltage, reducing the duty cycle, but I digress) as the battery state of charge goes up.  These are called solid state voltage regulators rather than charge controllers.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access