Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bulkhead/hull split

Started by skinchini, May 06, 2010, 07:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinchini

Hello everyone.
I have been reading through most of the CP-23 section while working on finding one of my own.  Well happy to say I have found one.  It looks in great shape. Clean, well maintained for a 93.  I have found one problem that concerns me though.  The aft bulkhead has pulled from the port hull on the top four or so inches of the seam.  This is viewed from the port access under the cockpit seat as wells as when viewing the bulkhead seam behind the stove.  There is no damage to the hull just the seam tape has split.  Has anyone seen this before?  I am good with fiberglass work from building wood/glass canoes and kayaks.  Repairable or walk away?  What do you all think?  I have a picture and will try to figure out how to upload it. No luck uploading much to computer illiterate.

Bob23

Skin:
   Does the hull seem to have taken an impact? These are pretty tough boats...could have been stored wrong.
Bob23

skinchini

Bob,  Thanks for your reply.
No it does not appear that it has. The exterior of the hull is in great shape no major dings not really any scuffs from the fenders. From the way the break looks my guess would be that it was taken in some pretty big waves and it just had some hull flex.  I feel pretty comfortable buying it, just making sure that no one has seen this sort of thing after something really screwed up happened.  The boat has always been stored on it's trailer that it came with.  The split is well above where the boat rests on the bunk.  I have read a few posts that mention strengthening the bulkheads and their attachment to the hull. 

Craig Weis

Hey you new guys, why not stack all the posts that are scattered around here and there under one topic? Be mindful that the first post under any new topic cannot be deleted. Any posts above the first post can be deleted by the author only.

Like for this $1500 CP-23, put it in the COM PAC 23 slot. Or some other location.
Just click modify your post, and edit, highlite, copy, find where this post goes and click paste. Then go back and delete the copied and moved post. Otherwise an old guy like me gets confused.

Everybody grab your posts and move 'em to where they belong.

Thanx. skip.

skinchini

I wish the boat was $1500, if it was I would have it already.

Bob23

Skin:
   I sail a 1985 23/2 and it's a wonderful boat. Yes, for offshore conditions, there are a lot of hull to deck and huill to bulkhead areas that could be beefed up. How much are they asking?
Bob23

skinchini

Asking is $11500 with trailer and outboard. Other than the issue I have described it is in great condition.  I have had my head and flashlight in every imaginable place. Spent about two hours on it yesterday poking, knocking and peeking everywhere.  Looking forward to the test sail, without that no sale.  The loan has been approved, the only other thing the owner has told me is that the motor may need a new impeller which should be no problem.

Craig Weis

OH, I had the ads mixed up. Wrong $'s. Don't be an eager beaver. Might be better to walk away.

skip.

skinchini

Well I took a better look at it and made some measurements.  I am thinking that these bulkheads are/where not cut to very tight tolerances.  For the hull to touch the bulkhead it would have to be pulled in towards the center line about an inch.  This would almost add a chine to the hull which I know is not in the design. From other posts that I dug up and other forums/groups I have searched through, it would appear that these joints are not the CP-23's strong points.  Looking forward to a fillet and seam tape job in my near future.  Bob23 I really do appreciate your input and look forward to bouncing many things off of you in the future.

CaptRon28

I don't know what a 23 looks like inside, or if there is anything blocking the area to make it difficult to work on. But at a 1 inch maximum seperation you should be able to tab the bulkhead to the hull with maybe 2 or 3 layers of glass on each side and some resin rolled in. The fix would add a lot of stability to the hull, especially because shorter boats don't really need this kind of heavy duty bulkhead / hull reinforcement. When you get to 40 feet and above it gets critical.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

skinchini

It has plenty of room to be worked on.  That is one of the things I like about it.  Not that any of it matters at this point.  Apparently, between the time I looked at it Thursday afternoon  and Friday afternoon when the bank gave the ok on the loan, some one put $500 down on it. To bad, we will see what happens.

newt

Skinchini, I would say 11K is too much for a 23 with a major problem. Your down in AZ, up here in Ut I bought a primo CP-23 almost brand new for 15.5, I have sailed it like crazy, and would still fetch around 13k. That is with trailer, great livable interior, electronics etc....

curtisv

Quote from: skinchini on May 06, 2010, 07:09:37 PM
Hello everyone.
I have been reading through most of the CP-23 section while working on finding one of my own.  Well happy to say I have found one.  It looks in great shape. Clean, well maintained for a 93.  I have found one problem that concerns me though.  The aft bulkhead has pulled from the port hull on the top four or so inches of the seam.  This is viewed from the port access under the cockpit seat as wells as when viewing the bulkhead seam behind the stove.  There is no damage to the hull just the seam tape has split.  Has anyone seen this before?  I am good with fiberglass work from building wood/glass canoes and kayaks.  Repairable or walk away?  What do you all think?  I have a picture and will try to figure out how to upload it. No luck uploading much to computer illiterate.

It sounds to me like the bulkhead you are talking about is the one that separates the cockpit lockers from the main cabin.  If you are talking about the space over the bulkhead to the cabin top, then that is OK.  The CP23 is built with a space over that bulkhead.  Next chance I'll get a photo.  I remember passing wires over it.  I think it is the same on both sides.  If I remember correctly that bulkhead is just lightly tabbed in around the bottom and sides.

Haven't climbed in to look that close in a while.  Certianly nothing I have photos of.  Very close to my inverter install but the photo didn't show the top of that bulkhead.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access