a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

teak strips on vabin

Started by jcatkeson, April 11, 2010, 03:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcatkeson

What is the length of the strips on the upper sides of the cabin? My CP23 came with no strips thought the screws were still in place. I live 100 miles from the boat and want to cut to the length before I varnish and take the strips to the pier.

brackish

You mean the moldings on the exterior running along the cabin trunk?  If you don't get an answer sooner, I'll be at the boat tomorrow or the next day will measure.  You can email Hutchins and they will probably tell you right away.

Bob23

jcat:
   I just climbed up in "Koinonia" (1985  23/2) and here's what I have: 87" long x 11/16" thick x 1/2" wide. Make sure you varnish all sides before you install. I replaced one of mine and set it in bedding compound so it could be removed sometime in the future. I think the factory method is brown 5200 caulk- very hard to get off!
   BTW, Thers are my most troublesome pieces of teak on my 23. They seem to require more maintainence than the teak anywhere else.
Bob23..happy varnishing!

curtisv

Quote from: Bob23 on April 12, 2010, 09:24:56 PM
jcat:
   I just climbed up in "Koinonia" (1985  23/2) and here's what I have: 87" long x 11/16" thick x 1/2" wide. Make sure you varnish all sides before you install. I replaced one of mine and set it in bedding compound so it could be removed sometime in the future. I think the factory method is brown 5200 caulk- very hard to get off!
   BTW, Thers are my most troublesome pieces of teak on my 23. They seem to require more maintainence than the teak anywhere else.
Bob23..happy varnishing!

For some reason they seem to need refinishing more often than anything else on the boat.  So far I cheat and use cetol.  Varnish it better, just more work than I have time for.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

jcatkeson

Don't know about using sealing to seat them since the ones on my boat were screwed in place. I have two strips which have been varnished on both sides but needed to have the length so that I could cut and round the ends and then finish them. Thanks to all for the help.

Bob23

jcat:
   Mine were, and are, screwed and plugged and set in bedding compound. There is a full roundover profile and the ends are rounded.
Bob23

curtisv

Don't use 5200 on wood.  Use bedding compound for this.  It will stop leaks and you won't have to break the wood to get it off next time.  Bedding compound is not an adhesive.  5200 is a very strong polyurathane *glue* the same general type of stuff that Gorilla Glue is made of.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access