a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New sails and measurements for 19

Started by mgoller, January 25, 2005, 12:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgoller

I am getting new sails this winter for my 19.  I lost my genoa in a hard wind this fall.  The genoa unfurled even though it was tied, beat itself apart at the seams.  I went out to get the fishing stuff off the dock, and see what I could do to lash things down better.  While I was on my hands and knees on the dock the boat pulled 50 feet of the dock up and curled it into the water.  While I was on it.  I jumped to the boat just as it was all coming apart.
What a mess, all the fishing poles and tackle in the water, the dock twisted 90 degrees and upside down, the boat beached and heeled over.
Two neighbors came out and we used sea anchors to get it back out.
Anyway, North Sails is making me a new main and new genoa.  I will ask them for the specifications so I can post the measurements.  Both sails will be white Nordac 5.5 oz, I am changing to luff slides, and a free footed main to get a better shape.  The sails will be shaped by North sail makers to move me forward instead of sideways. They will remove the luff tape from the genoa and put it on my nice original jib so I can use it on the furler.
The price for all is $1060.
I will relay my experience after I get them and try them out.

sanman60

QuoteWhile I was on my hands and knees on the dock the boat pulled 50 feet of the dock up and curled it into the water. While I was on it. I jumped to the boat just as it was all coming apart.
What a mess, all the fishing poles and tackle in the water, the dock twisted 90 degrees and upside down, the boat beached and heeled over.

:shock: Good Grief!  Well, Glad you are  uninjured!   Did it mess up the hull?

Sounds like a pretty good deal for the sails and work. 8)

CaptK

Wow, just saw this, Marcus! Having some fun, were you? Glad to hear it worked out OK. :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

mgoller

Hi,
The hull was fine, the bottom of our lake near my house is as soft as soft can be.  It is fine silt, sand and marl.
A couple of pieces of dock were ruined.  I know better than to tie the boat solely to the dock.  I would normally use the sea anchor and then trolley the boat back to the dock.
It was wierd that I went out on the dock just as it was about to pull apart.  I learned that is always good to stow everything away safely, even on the dock.  Secure the boat correctly.  Weather sometimes sneaks up on you.
Bye

bro t

Marcus, glad you didn't get hurt!  Did the furling unit break?  It may be something to know and wonder about for all who have or get furling Jib/gen.  I discovered a tidbit of wisdom in high wind this summer, too.  Dad is 85 and walks with difficulty, but loves to sail and appreciates high wind days.  So I motored to the dock, but then idioticly turned the boat (by hand in waist deep water) to motor out into the wind.  Duh.  In tight quarters (as we were) I will always back upwind from now on.  We could not hold a course in the short channel (25 x 8 or so) and took a bit of a pounding on the rocks :(  before finally rocking and breaking free.  They say "live and learn", but I say, "...mostly live!"

mgoller

No the furling unit didn't break.  I think it was that the sail wasn't furled tight so that the wind picked the corner and started blowing it out.  The sail I guess wound tighter so that about four or five feet of triangle was flapping.  Maybe the furler had some slack in its line.  The sail and the sheets just beat back and forth and with that much sail out, I think added to the force on the whole boat.  
When things get this out of control it is difficult to know whether or not to intervene.  I guess you have to.  This episode reminds me again that the time to take precautions is before you need to.  This calls for a safety routine that may seem ridiculous on nice days.  Proper stowage of gear, lashing the sails down properly, mooring or anchoring for the worst weather, etc...  
"Nice weather always precedes bad weather"