a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Conditions for First Sail

Started by Tim F, April 28, 2010, 03:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim F

My CP16 has been sitting in my yard for a couple weeks now since I bought it. I'd like to get her out on the water soon and have been watching conditions in my area to get a sense of normal for this time of year.

I'm not a total sailing newbie but am pretty inexperienced so I'd like to pick a day that won't be too much to handle.

The kind of forecast I think I take her out in the first time would be something like:
"SAT AND SUN...SW WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 OR 2 FT"

Would you consider this about right conditions for a first sail in my local coastal waters or too sporty?

Thanks.

-Tim

Salty19

That sounds perfect to me. 

You can always reef your mainsail as you hoist it for the first time and leave the jib in the cabin.  That will give you better control/less power if the wind does pick up beyond 15knots.

That will give you some acquaintance time without surprises in the way of handling from strong wind.  Remember the forecast is one thing, real conditions often vary.  If you reef for the windspeed, you will not loose control or be "on the edge".

If you are used to a racing design/dinghy, you'll find the CP16 to be much easier to handle and less stress in general. 

I say go for it and have fun with your new boat!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob Condon

I would like to see a 7-10 knot day

1. Bring a friend because two brains are better than 1
2. Start out by sailing JUST with the main sail...
   have fun with this, play around until you are comfortable.
When I first sailed my 28', we sailed for 2 hours and that was it because
I was new to the boat, was used to smaller boats,
a nice beautiful 44' ran agound while under full motor power (in a rocky area,
it is best to stay in the channel) and people were strewn around the deck...after
2 hours and now very nervous crew (we were in the channel!), we stopped while we
were ahead.

3. If your crew gets tired, call it a day cuz there is nothing more short
lived than sailing when the crew is ready to go home or out to eat

4. If not too much wind, put up the jib, genoa after
training the crew how to manage the sail.

Just have fun... The cp16 is a nicely contained boat...

Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

newt

Good advice Bob. I esp. agree with one and three....
Grog to ya.

Bob23

PFD's on everyone...and no beer.
Bob23

don l

When trying to learn  to sail, I read many, many books and took a course on sailing.  was raised on boats as a kid and young man,  however,  sailing is a new dog, with new tricks.  I just sailed with the main, in 10 to 12 knot of wind for a few days, then sarted trying the jibs.  The first year was tuff for the wife and I, the second was better, could sail back to dock undersail, wow what a day.  This is our third year, we begin with new sail, new places.  THIS SITE,  AND IT'S SEARCHES,  WILL HELP YOU A LOT, THE SAILORS ARE GREAT TOO!  Fairwind...

cajun

Bob Condon

Bob23

excellent point on PFDs and HATS, SHIRTS, SUNSCREEN - You will be
scorched if you are not careful.

Other things I have learned:

Have plenty of bottled water on board. I am not a fan of
soda because it never seems to refresh my thirst in the warm sun.

Bring some "fun"/easy  foods because you will expend a lot of energy. We tend to
bring peanut butter sandwiches because they stick together and can easily eat
while under sail. (It is good to stop for formally each lunch and have some down time)..

We do not have alcohol on the boat. It has nothing about being anti-alcohol
but we get our beer after we have left the vessel and have no responsibility with the craft.
Otherwise we would only have a beer while on the mooring... just a firm rule.

I know someone who used to actively drink while sailing. He was a bit of a crazy soul
and would laugh about when people would fall overboard... He is one lucky soul not to have someone
get hurt or killed... and to not have endangered others. enuf said?

If you are a REAL Newbie, we have sailing instructors that will teach on their boat -or- yours. My whole family
learned on HIS boat ($1300 - 5 morning or afternoon lessons - 20 hours for 4 people) and he offered to teach on our boat
to get everyone comfortable. The insurance company liked that we had teaching and certification under our belt.
[we were doing ocean sailing on a 28' Cape Dory]

No barking!
It amazes me how many of our friends no longer sail because of the "Barking by the captain" (aka... spouse)

The person with tiller or wheel in hand is the skipper. That includes your 10 year old.

A crew that has things to do is a happy crew. A mistake I made early in my sailing adventures
was to make a day sail a leisure day for the crew... the crew wants to learn and be part of the
adventure so let them.. They can take off covers, untie the mooring on command, hoist the sails...
grab the tiller...

Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

brackish

From my first real sail on a 17' boat, not unlike a Compac 16, new to me about 45 years ago, here is what NOT to do:

Do not plan your first real sail to be a 27 mile overnight trip out to Chandeleur Island (boy I hope they can keep the crude off her) even if you do have a power boat rendezvous at your destination.

Do not trust a friend and crew member when you are trying to finish rigging the boat at the last minute, all the marine supply places are closed, and he stops at Sears and picks up some aluminum screen door turnbuckles and says, "these should do fine"

Do not trust your BIL, partner in the boat and another novice sailor, who after the Jib is raised says.  "what do we do with all this excess line (Jib Halyard).  The answer is not "I don't know"  The correct answer is "let's think about that".  He cut it off in the interest of neatness!!!

Even though the outboard kicker is relatively new, do not trust that it will actually start when you get in the middle of a raging thunderstorm.

Do not trust that your yet to be developed sailing skills will allow you to turn and get in the Lee of Ship Island on your way back for protection from the aforementioned raging, blinding, squall, particularly if you've lost the top two feet of your wooden mast as a result of the aforementioned aluminum screen door turnbuckles and you are  sailing with an emergency reefed and stayed rig.

Do not be alarmed when in the trough of the following sea astern and you cannot see over the wave directly behind you as this is a natural if terrifying condition.

When the storm is over and it leaves you just a couple of miles from home, more or less becalmed, but in the ship channel, do not consider that there will be no ships using the channel or that the aforementioned motor will finally give in and start.  Do have a sculling oar on board to supplement the sculling you are doing with the tiller. (being in good shape helps here)

Do give thanks for the divine intervention that got you home safely and oh so much wiser.

These are things that should NOT be learned by practical experience so I offer them for you to read.  To me, funny now, not so much then.

Tim F

Salty19

Hi Tim-

I thought I said it, but I didn't...definitely use only the main sail on your first flight as Bob has suggested.  Sorry about that.

And Brack brings up a real valid point to check over the boat (pins, cotter pins, bolt tightness, lines in good shape (use real sailing lines, not from Home Depot), standing rigging has no fraying, etc.  An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob Condon

Use real marine wire and NOT lamp cord!!! I have seen enough of that!

The best thing to do is use good materials on what you do because
it is always stressfl to break down 3 miles into the ocean. The extra money
is sually money well spent

enjoy the first and second sail!
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

revdeb

I'm grateful for this thread as it provides good advice, sobering realism and  grace-filled humor I can use as I
plan for a first sail on my new-to-me Compac 16 in the next weeks. I'm looking in the SE Mass and Cape Cod area for someone experienced to go with me, preferably a Compac 16 owner/sailor. I'm not a newbie but given the long hiatus from sailing I feel like one. I note a compac 16 has been the only boat moored in West Falmouth for some weeks now. Maybe its owners would be game. In any case does anyone know of a compac owner in southeastern massachusetts who might be willing?

Bob Condon

RevDeb,

You could contact me offline (bcondon11@yahoo.com) and I can give you the name
of my brother. He is a professional sailing captain and instructor (asa certified ) in the Acton area
and he could refresh your (or a group) skills.

He is an excellent sailor.

The other alternative would be to advertise in Craigslist and then screen those that reply.
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

kickingbug1

tim first things first. check out the boat carefully to assure her equipment is first rate. having done that educate yourself on what things do and learn how to do them ( a number of books are a big help). rig your boat a number of times in the driveway and if you need to write a step by step procedure for rigging and unrigging, it saves forgetting somethings ( i occasionally forget to put my windex on before i step the mast. as to the sailing, start simple, sail with the main alone to gain confidence. after a while fly the jib. on light wind days 5 mph or so practice simple manuevers---tacking , jibing, reaching and running. com=pac 16 heel pretty quickly and then firm up. they like to sail at 12 degrees or so and need some heel to get in a groove. my crew usually sits on the lee side with me to windward to induce some heel. i doubt if the 16 can be knocked down ( they round up nicely in heavy stuff). once you have enough confidence in the boats ability as well as yours then try windy conditions. these little boats can handle wind and waves suprizingly well. as for the pfd   wear them. i dont but thats just me. anyway kids should always have them on.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

curtisv

Tim,

Novice sailing lessons are usually cancelled at about 15 knots.  Great conditions but not right for a new sailor.

If you have someone experienced on board, then 15 knots should be fine as long as they are comfortable taking over in 15 kinots.

Otherwise 5 is light but will move you along nicely.  10 is about perfect.  12 will keep you on your toes and you may want to reef if you are new to sailing.

In a year if you get out much 15 will be nothing to be concerned about.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access