a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

conversion to led

Started by danrameys, February 16, 2010, 10:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danrameys

I was planning to convert my existing nav light bulbs to LED. When I asked for any kits at my local marine store all i got was "LED kit what? Boy, i don't think we sell none o' that"

When i started looking at WestMarine it looked like everything needed some additional wiring, or a fixture change. is there any type of plug and play LED kit? i can see LED's really helping extend my Battery life.

Dan

kahpho

Welcome aboard Dan,

I've seen a selection of different replacement LED bulbs in the Westmarine catalog. Easy plug and play replacement. However, I just looked on their website and couldn't find much. Not unusual, I always seem to have trouble finding things on their site. Try doing a 'net search for "marine led bulbs" should give you mucho choices. You'll need to know which flavor of bulbs each of your fixtures use. I don't think I've ever seen a kit.

Planning to do the same for my boat this spring. Good luck to ya.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

Potcake boy

http://www.marinebeam.com/

Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the web site that I purchased mine from.  The proprietor was a sailor and familiar with all the common light fixtures, and in double checking my order, called me to suggest that I change the bow light bulb to a warm white to avoid fading of the color lens.  Now that's personal service you won't get from the average boat store.

My boat is LEDs from top to bottom, and it's nice to be able to leave the anchor light on without concern that the battery will be dead in the morning.  On my 19 I have a single group 27 AGM, 6amp rectifier on the motor and one of those medium size solar panels from Sunsai.  As stated all lights are LED - Raymarine depth finder - limited use of GPS - the luxury of a pressure demand pump for the cockpit shower, and my electrical system is pretty much hands off.

When the cabin light switch is turned on it powers two small red LEDs on either side near the companionway, and also provides power to the main cabin light which has three positions off/red/white.  An excellent combination of lighting for the cabin.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Craig Weis

This pull string extra lamp on the 'XL' part of the C-P 19 cabin is a 12 v red LED automotive tail lamp from AutoZone that came out of my Saturn. The overhead lamp from the factory also has a white LED bulb in it from AutoZone. The bulbs need a little messing around with to make fit the sockets. No biggy.

skip.

Potcake boy

Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

danrameys

That looks pretty good Skip. The only problem I can see with that kit is it isnt approved for nav lights. I don't know if it's not approved because it isn't bright enough, wich I doubt, or if the manfacture just didn't pay to get the USCG cert. I did come accross a pretty cool "plug and play" lighting system that interfaces with the rest of the plug and play electrical equipment that they sell. I dont think that they come stock led.

http://www.ezacdc.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=34

P.S.

thanks for the link potcake

Seaman Deuce

Check out www.bebi-electronics.com for LEDs.  Price is very good and easy to install.  Put a couple on my GFs powerboat for $70.00 (including shipping).  Service by Michael is fantastic - in my case the light I wanted to use needed the wires on the side instead of the top. 

No problem - made to specs and shipped in 24 hours at no additional cost. Used 4000 adhesive to glue to top of fixture, cut out old bayonet socket and connected two wires for great soft light without the usual glare.

micmel

Take a look at www.duckworks.com, there are several LED possibilities in the electrical hardware section, and there have been a number of good articles about LED navigation lights on there web site.

Michael

mikkel

Craig Weis

"the manufacture just didn't pay to get the USCG cert. "

Bingo! Certified anything is big money. Like anything UL or USCG approved.
But boy are these bright, no heat and long hours, very little battery draw.
Lets see,
~Mast head anchor light. [Davis]
~Mast head steaming light [AutoZone car stuff]
~Inside cabin light by compression post [AutoZone car stuff]
~Extra red LED pull chain lamp on starboard bulkhead [garage sale $1.00; AutoZone car stuff]
~Bow bi-color light [Yacht Works; West Marine still does not have these fesstooned bulbs-two years now.]
~Stern light [Yacht Works]
~Not LED is red compuss light bulb

Also the tail/brake light of my 6 v + ground Ford Model 'A'. Goes with my 6 v + ground alternator.

skip.

curtisv

Dan,

Skip is right on.  Ancor is a trusted name in anything marine electrical.  Almost all existing NAV lights are festoon style bulbs.

Check you NAV lights and other lights.  See what bulb type it is and get a LED replacement.  I think most CP have low end Allied Signal NAV lights.  If you can read the numbers or recognize the nav light from the dimensions, look up the replacement bulb type.  Then get a matching LED.

That is the cheapest way to go by far.  Even better is a purpose built completely waterproof NAV light with LEDs.  Those are still a bit pricey but the price has come down from the stratosphere in the past few years.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access