a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse take 3rd place....

Started by Glenn Basore, August 06, 2010, 01:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

The week end of the 23rd I sailed in a Cruiser Challenge XI event at Monterey Bay Calif. there were some 45 to 50 boats there.

Mostely Potters and Montgomery 17.

I was put in the first race which had 3 boats interred the first was a Com Pac 23, the second boat was a Catilina 22 and the third was my Eclipse.  need less to say, I finished dead last and still got a 3rd place trophy LOL.

We did have a good time and it was my first boat race. what a thrill it was at the starting line, all the other boats were waiting for their race to start and it was like a bee hive of activity.

Glenn B.

brackish

Just curious, were you racing PHRF and if so, how much did you lose to the other boats on corrected time?

Glenn Basore

I don't know what PHRF is, this was my first time sailing.

I lost by a lot!

The good news is, I stayed out of every ones way and had fun doing so.

The second group of racers had two boats that caught up with me, they were Montgomery 17, the potters (17 - 19) were not close to me at all, may be 1/4 mile behind me.

brackish

Quote from: Glenn on August 06, 2010, 10:47:59 PM
I don't know what PHRF is, this was my first time sailing.

I lost by a lot!

The good news is, I stayed out of every ones way and had fun doing so.

The second group of racers had two boats that caught up with me, they were Montgomery 17, the potters (17 - 19) were not close to me at all, may be 1/4 mile behind me.

LOL,  PHRF is Performance Handicap Racing Fleet.  It is a set of factors that are used to rate boats so that when you are in a race your boat should be equal to all other boats and the race becomes a test of the skipper and crew.  The reason I asked is that both those boats probably rate faster than you and should beat you in a heads up race, but they both would have had to give you time on the correction to determine the winner. 

Eclipse is not listed on the PHRF.  May be the design is too new and not enough boats out there that have applied for a rating.

Rating Factors.  The lower the number, theoretically, the faster the boat.

http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets/Offshore/PHRF/High+Low+Mean+PHRF+Handicaps.pdf

Glenn Basore

Ah,

I do recall some type of handy capping for sail boats, just didn't recognize the name.

thanks for the link too..........

Glenn B.