a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I see you have your lines led aft

Started by Napier6, January 05, 2010, 10:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napier6

Good for you. We've been frozen over here for quite some time. Although I did get to ski 18" of fresh at Monarch today.

hey Napier, I see you have your lines led aft. How's that working for you, did you do it for ease of single handing? Do you have lazy jacks or how do you handle the main when it comes down?  Is your boom sheeted mid on a traveler or end?
I've been thinking about doing the same thing as I single hand often.

Bmiller,  
Ski on frozen water!  That's one of the North/South tradeoffs.  I can sail in Dec. but have never snow skied in my life.
I do have the lines led aft, but can't claim it's my idea.  The Eclipse comes set up this way from the factory.  
I find that 90% of the time I'm single handing and I like the setup for the most part.  I don't have lazy jacks.  I keep considering them, but money is tight right now and it adds another layer of stuff on the boat.  Some days I feel like I'm gathering the sheets off the line though.  I'll let you know if I do set up lazy jacks.  The boom is sheeted on the end and I like the setup because it keeps the cabin top clear.  The one thing I don't like is the traveler on the bimini arch.  I used the traveler more in the first two years I owned Skylark, but the small Spinlock cleats on the arch are just under my shoulder blade as I lean back it will release the traveler.  Sometimes in a 2-3 foot jerk that is quite disconcerting.  I have on my future wish list a small boat traveler sheeting car and track etc, but all that is expensive and will have to wait.  Good Old Boat has an article this month on sail twist and travelers that tells me if I really care to go a bit faster I need to break out the traveler from the middle of the bimini arch more often.  
I would like to add a small cam cleat on the CDI roller furling line.  Most days it is fine but if you need to pull in the line in windy conditions or roll up part of the jib (not very effective on sail shape) it would help.  Also, the Spin Lock cleats on the cabin top are in need of some lube.  I want to swap them out with some cam cleats. Has anyone out there made these kinds of swaps?  I would love some photos of what you have done.  The messy black line in the photo is the reefing line that came unwrapped.
I almost forgot the one thing I really like single handing  is my Tillermate.  This allows me to tension a line on the tiller and relax a bit or go forward and unsnag a line if needed.    
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"