a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Remote control for outboard

Started by bsaulnier, February 15, 2005, 08:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsaulnier

Has anyone come up with a solution for a remote throttle control for an outboard? It irks me to have to turn around and reach down to tweak the throttle when I'm motoring through a narrow gut or coming to the dock.

I saw one advertised in This Old Boat but you had to replace the tiller (and I like the one that I have ).  I vaguely remember someone posting their solution to this problem on the Yahoo Com-Pac group but I couldn't locate it in the archives.  A pointer to a comercial product or a DIY method would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

spaul

Bill, there is a remote throttle that attaches to the front of your tiller. I'm looking for the link and will send if no-one beats me to it. It appears to be a reasonably priced great idea that you and I should have thought of.
Steve
cp27/2
Nashville, IN

JimL

Bill, I seem to remember reading somewhere about a really easy DIY solution -- I think they just took a PVC pipe that was slightly smaller than the throttle handle and jammed it on. Tension keeps it there and allows you to move the throttle from a greater distance, but comes off easily. You are basically just making the outboard tiller longer.  Methinks you can play with this idea and figure out something nicer, for few cents.

Or, check out some of the boatbuilding sites that sell powerboat plans and gear.  GlenL, for example, has cables and remote throttles that are used to run small powerboats -- maybe you can figure out where to attach a remote throttle in your cockpit and run a cable back to the outboard.

Jim

spaul

Bill, go to this site and salivate:

http://www.powertiller.com/

Let me know your thoughts.
Steve Paul