a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

spreader socket loose

Started by JF AIR, May 09, 2010, 06:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF AIR

6Model is cp23/3 89 and I think the spreader sockets on the mast would be the originals,,,Now, I realise that when mast is down and
spreaders are not held tight by  main shrouds and lowers,those spreaders sockets to the mast are just hanging loose from the mast and somehow holding only from the spreader tube running tru and inside the mast...Is this a familiar situation for anyone of you????

Craig Weis

Spreader sockets on my CP-19 are loose as a goose when there is no load on them.
They do the tighten-up of course when the stick goes up.
Once one those guys was a little too far pointing up so I hooked it with the boathook and pulled it back to horizontal. It just slid down on the standing rigging shroud, spreader boot and all.

skip.

brackish

The sockets can be tightened providing they are not all distorted from mast lowering and raising issues.  Remove the spreader tubes, then tighten the sockets to the mast.  If I remember correctly when I did mine last summer, there is a aluminum reinforcing tube inside the mast so that you will not compress and deform the mast when you tighten.  I think the nut is a nylock you might want to replace it when you tighten it.  Don't over torque, there is no need with the nylock, just get them so they don't flop around, the upper stays will keep them in place with the mast up.  If the sockets are distorted too badly or the holes are wallowed out, you can get new sockets from Dwyer.

One of my sockets was distorted and I had to flatten the base before reinstalling.

Bob23

The sockets on my 1985 23/2 have considerable play in them. I think this is neccesary for the spreaders themselves to self-align when loaded. Never had a problems with the rig.
Bob23

LConrad

Although I have not had any problems, my spreaders act just like yours.  It is likely you have the Dwyer Aluminum Mast Company DM-450 mast and mast parts. 

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=20&cat1Name=Masts&familyID=41&familyName=DM%2D450+Mast

My 23 has the DH 254-2 spreader bracket and compression tube. It is held to the mast with only one screw so the bracket will move some until the mast is up and all shrouds tight.

The spreader just has a groove in the end where you tie it in with some stanless wire seizing. Both West Marine and APS offer some wirw on their web site.  I have tied it pretty tight, but it still can be pushed up or pulled down a bit as Skip described.  I don't remember if it was Com-Pac or Dwyer, but I think proper installation has the tips of the spreaders about 5 degrees above horizontal. I think I would feel better if it could be held tight, but don't know how to make it so. Does anybody have good advice on the proper seizing method?

newt

My spreaders are loose when the mast is down. I would worry more about the shroud tension....

LConrad

Just to be sure, I called Dwyer today.  Spreader should rise about 5 degrees. Tie the stays in snug to spreader tip with a figure eight seizing. It won't be a tight as if it were somehow clamped, but that is OK.

Craig Weis

They are all lose. They just rattle around on the fasteners holding them on. It's normal. The standing rigging stiffens them right up.

skip.