a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

harness?

Started by tmorgan, April 14, 2010, 04:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmorgan

Since I sail alone a lot, I bought a harness to wear.  Does anybody have a good idea how to attach it to the boat without interfering with the tiller, the main sheet, etc? 

newt

tm, the idea is to try and attach yourself at a central part of the boat, where you will not fall overboard if you loose your balance. You usually need a harness with a tether, and a jackline. You run your jackline along the center of the boat, usually from before the mast to the cockpit. You hook in a tether to that line and attach it to your harness. There should be a way to quick release your tether should it get caught on something and drag you down.
I have a padeye that is central in the cockpit, I attach the tether to that, except when I am going forward of the mast....

Joseph

I am thinking in rigging in my SC two flat jacklines along each toerail attached to the bow and stern cleats. The teather would then be attached to whichever one is to windward. But I have not yet decided how I am going to attach the jacklines to the cleats (the horn cleats in the SC are rather small, and I wish to keep them as unincumbered as possible for other uses). For work at the mast and forward of it the strongest hold is the mast itself, so the idea is to have a harness with a dual tether: a longer one (5-6 ft) for the jacklines and a shorter one (3 ft) to attach to the mast when needed.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365