a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Auxillary Propulsion

Started by beshman2, March 29, 2010, 08:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beshman2

Has anyone tried or known anyone who has tried one of these (assuming built in China) no name 2.5hp 2 stroke motors available online for $380.00 or so?  I have a 50lb thrust Riptide and a single group 27 battery on my 1980 CP16 for now, but I would like to have something that has some range if needed.  Boat bucks are extremely tight so anything more than this is simply not happening for quite awhile.  Would one of these work or would I be better off keeping an eye out for a used brand name motor?

Shawn

"Would one of these work or would I be better off keeping an eye out for a used brand name motor?"

I'd go for a used brand name motor.

You should be able to easily get a used 2-3hp 2 stroke for less then that questionable engine. If you want lightweight aircooled watch for Sears/Tanaka Gamefishers. They were available in 1.2, 1.75 and 3hp versions. Aim for at least the 1.75hp (or 3hp) as they can spin 180 degrees for reverse and had the option of a centrifugal clutch. I have had the 1.2 and 1.75 clutched versions. Because they are air cooled they are somewhat loud though.

Avoid the Cruise and Carrys (had one)... the Tanaka's are much better build.

Other then that a 2 stroke Tohatsu or Suzuki should be able to be purchased for that price and both are good engines. Evinrude and Johnson would have numerous models that fit within that price used too.

If you want to go old school a British Seagull Forty Plus would basically run forever (in its typical Seagull messy state) and can be found in long shaft versions if desired. Be sure to check your local Craigslist too as there are deals to be found.

Shawn

Potcake boy

Shawn,

I back the proposal of a used 2 stroke.

I had a British Seagull at one time, and its main advantages were high torque, fairly quiet, and was easily dismounted from it's bracket for storage below deck if desired.  Disadvantages were 10/1 oil mix, nonrecoiling starting rope and no remote fuel connection.  It was a very reliable low tech motor and did a good job at a low weight cost.  I say it is a serious consideration for occasional use and probably easier to maintain than more sophisticated motors but parts availability may be an issue nowadays.

The old 2 strokes were pretty reliable and lightweight, but not fuel efficient and were very bad polluters.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

kickingbug1

well i have to say that my cruise and carry 2.7 (two of them came with the boat) has been good so far (approaching third season). the aircooled outboards of any make will be loud. the price you pay for not having to buy impellers. i would buy a brand name used motor. three should be plenty for a 16. i dont know what i will buy when these old cruise and carrys bite the dust. i have a 2 horse johnson with low hours but no neutral. i know i would miss the neutral.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Shawn

Ron,

I have a Forty Plus and Silver Century Plus long shaft. The mounting on the Seagulls is very nice, I'm surprised nobody else has used that method.

If the engine is a '68 or later it can be converted to 25:1 with a jet change. Late 70s or so motors were 25:1 from the factory. If you watch ebay you can occasionally find the Seagull 1 gallon extra long range tank. On a 40 plus that is good for about 4.5 hours of running.

Parts are still available if needed. For example:

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/

Shawn

Potcake boy

Quote from: Shawn on March 30, 2010, 05:05:35 PM
Ron,

I have a Forty Plus and Silver Century Plus long shaft. The mounting on the Seagulls is very nice, I'm surprised nobody else has used that method.

If the engine is a '68 or later it can be converted to 25:1 with a jet change. Late 70s or so motors were 25:1 from the factory. If you watch ebay you can occasionally find the Seagull 1 gallon extra long range tank. On a 40 plus that is good for about 4.5 hours of running.

Parts are still available if needed. For example:

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/

Shawn,

Thanks for the input - I was thinking they were just a memory from the past.  If you worked within it's limits, it was actually a very reliable and durable motor.

You know, these would be fitting in character for the Suncat and look good on the transom of any Compac.

Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Craig Weis

Cheapest 4 cycle O/B is a 5 hp Briggs and Stration air cooled O/B comes with FWD-N-REV gear box and can be fed with an auxiliary tank. If have seen them on line out of Georgia for around $600 to $700, and UPS able. Being air cooled they can be a little loud. But no water pump and can be run 'dry'. How cool is that?

OK It sounds like cutting grass is out for you Potcake Boy? Me too. But seaweed is all together a different story. That's funny.

The only difference between a new 2 stroke and a fagged out 2 stroke is compression and a weak reed valve.

skip.

Potcake boy

Skip - I'm afraid that would remind me too much of cutting the grass LOL.
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

beshman2

Good advice on the motors, I had forgotten about the Gamefisher series.  A guy a couple hours from me has a 3hp with "good compression and spark, ran last year but not now" for $70.00.  I wonder how much of a glutton for punishment I am?   

I also pulled the tires and hubs tonight.  I am going to be towing some distance Saturday and wanted to take a look, glad I did as the bearing were pretty bad looking.  The trailer sat for 5 years before I bought the boat and I did very little towing last fall after working on the boat for a year.  One more thing to pick up tomorrow...

Shawn

"A guy a couple hours from me has a 3hp with "good compression and spark, ran last year but not now" for $70.00.  I wonder how much of a glutton for punishment I am?   "

If it has spark and compression the problem is almost certainly fuel. Probably just needs the carb cleaned out and maybe the fuel lines too.

The 3hp routinely sells for over $300 on ebay so if you can pick one up for $70 and spend an hour or two cleaning up the carb to get it running that is a deal.

Sears still sells parts for the Gamefishers. You can get the owners manual at:

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?section=129

Shawn