a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another new sailer joining the Com-Pac 16 group

Started by chrisolavitch, April 24, 2010, 06:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisolavitch

Today I became the proud owner of a 1976 Com-Pac 16.  It is in amazing condition.  Lots of extras.  Sails appear to be the main, 150 Genoa and another which I believe is a spinnaker?  Sails were in great shape, nice and crispy.  Electronics consist of a depth finder and a speed sensor.  Cool little homemade mast crutch.  The hull has only two tiny scratches.  Trailer is a 1991. 

My wife and I purchased our first boat 4 years ago.  A beautiful 1993 Hunter 235.  But it has been TOO much boat to learn on.  I could never get comfortable on that large boat so we started looking for a smaller, easier to handle craft.  We figured we could learn on something smaller then go back to the Hunter.  After tons of reading-I settled on the Com-Pac 16.  Then two weeks ago while traveling on business-there she was!!  After going over it quickly I inquired what he wanted for it.  He had taken it on trade for a pick-up and knew nothing about "the little boat".  He said "well- I reckon a thousand would be too much seein' as it don't have no engine-so how 'bout $800.00!"  I called my wife and informed her we had a new boat.  Someone in an earlier posting said "the boat finds you".  I believe it. 

It will be much more enjoyable and easy to hop around to the many lakes here in Texas.  Thanks for this GREAT site.  It has been a wealth of info.

I would post a picture if I could figure out how to do that.  Now I just need to give her a name!

nies

Welcome aboard, you will find this is really THE FIRST DAY OF YOUR LIFE ,one thing....you have created a monster by admitting you need to name your boat, until you decide your friends on the forum will come up with hundreds and hundreds, name her quick or you will be totally confused by weeks end..............I will start ................PRICELESS.....................................Phil

K3v1n

My first boat was a 16, perfect to learn on!
You're gonna love her.

Godspeed,
-Kevin
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Billy

I just got a 16 in addition to the 19 I already have. Neither have offical names yet but I have a few thoughts
For the 19, "Passing Gas" I traded a Mastecraft for her

But now that I have two (big brother and little sister)

The 19 for the weekends "Weekend at Bernie's" or something to do w/ weekend
And the 16 for the daysails. My wife likes "Day Dream Believer"

Also we have two dogs (a blue male Doberman named Blue and a red female Dobie named Penny). And wouldn't you know it, the hull of the 19 is blue and the hull of the 16 is red so I was thinking "Blue Boat" & "Red Boat" or "Big Blue" & "Little Red"
But I'm still thinking i'm open

Some of my favorite names are....
Going Costal
Never Again II
Sheet Happens
S.N.A.F.U.
Sea Allice
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Greene

Welcome Chrisolavitch.  The 16 is a great boat to learn on. You'll find this site contains an abundance of information and advice.  We look forward to hearing more about the boat, learning to sail her, and seeing some pictures. 

Mike and Brenda
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

corinthian

Welcome. Perhaps the name will 'come to you' also. I was launching my compac when my friends arrived with champange and a toast. As they sent me adrift they asked my what I had named her. I looked at them and said, "FRIENDSHIP".

Tim Gardner

I think a good name for your new boat would be "Eight Bills"

TG - Welcome
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.